Dry Scalp

Okay, so my daughters scalp has been REALLY dry the last few weeks. It's BAD, I mean flakes and redness, it almost looks like there are raised area's in a couple of places where there might be "scabs" under the flakes. I haven't been pulling her hair back since I noticed. I have also only been washing it every 3 days so not to dry it out further?
Does anyone have any suggestions? She is ULTRA sensitive to shampoo and conditioners because she is allergic to Sulfer and Sulfa which almost all have in them. I am desperate. It's just getting worse, her pediatrician told me to not worry it's just the weather, but it's never done this before. Has anyone else experienced this?
I've been putting a very mild leave in condition on it and it's not helping, I am about ready to douse her head in oil to help it??

smilinghug

Asked by smilinghug at 7:38 PM on Dec. 21, 2009 in Health

• Amelia had this, Granted it was when she was born, But she still had it. Have you used the aveeno shampoo? (I don't know whats in it, But you can look) If not use what you are using. But you can try this a few different way. You can use baby oil, put it in her hair and let it sit for a few minutes then wash her hair. OR you can mix the baby oil with the shampoo (A little more oil then shampoo) and rinse out. Or you can add the oil after her head has been washed. I prefer one of the other ways because her hair didn't look oily after, But which ever works go for it.

You can also the next day after washing her hair put some baby oil on your fingers and massage it into her scalp. Either way I hope any of these ideas works for you.
    ilovecandy

Answer by ilovecandy at 1:06 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Run some coconut oil on her scalp twice a day. Stay away from Johnson's products; some of them are fairly toxic : www.cosmeticsdatabase.com

Answer by rkoloms at 7:03 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Christi....I have used the Aveeno, but I can't anymore because it has sulfa products in it. She had cradle cap when she was a baby too, however that was like in one place this is her entire scalp. I have used calendula oil as well as the coconut lotion that I used when she was a baby and it's just not working. I am totally worried because her poor little scalp is just so irritated. I am going to the health food store today to find something that I can put on it like a salve or something! Thanks for the advice ladies!
    smilinghug

Answer by smilinghug at 10:52 AM on Dec. 22, 2009