Should I take my 9 day old baby out on Christmas?

My baby is 5 days old today, but will be 9 days on Christmas. This is my first baby and with it being Winter and all the flu stuff going around I'm worried about her getting sick. Does anyone else have a newborn they are taking out? Should I be so concerned? Or should I just go ahead and go out for Christmas and risk it?

gbj2b

Asked by gbj2b at 7:43 PM on Dec. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Where would you be going? Newborns babies are able to go out just like anyone else and there is no need to isolate them but use caution and make sure to wash when you get back, the same general rules you would follow for yourself.
    psugal

Answer by psugal at 7:48 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Uh, Hon... you have to start taking them out sometime. Why not? If the baby is going to get sick, rest assured he can get it from you carrying any number of germs... Do you realize the hospital, YES the very place he was born, has the most germs anyone could ever encounter... and to think, he was born there. You can't keep him buried in your home forever... go out and get him some fresh air.
    Anonymous

• Honey,
    I do not mean to sound harsh, but I would have FAMILY come to me.
    I would also have them, wash thier hands, before they held the baby, and If anyone, has a cold I would ask them to stay home.
    She is way to new to be out.
    SissyAnn141

Answer by SissyAnn141 at 7:49 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• It is a bad habit to start being over paranoid so soon just make sure that you don't allow people to touch her unless they have washed, wrap her up in warm blankets it is fine. I took my daughter out the day we got home because I needed my perscriprions, it is a ok.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 8:28 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• I took my daughter out when she was a couple days old. We moved from miami to orlando when she was 10 days old. I just didnt let people touch her.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 8:44 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• It depends on where you want to take her (and how bad you want to go!) Taking a newborn out in a sling can be really helpful because when you are wearing baby in a sling people are less likely to just walk up to her and touch her.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:14 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• My first son did not leave our property for his first 8 weeks. This baby left the house at 3 weeks but only to go get big brother from school and to the grocery store on occasion but I kept him covered. My doctor I had this time around, loved the idea of keeping them home as much as possible for the first month or two. If you are worried about it, stay home. It's not paranoia, it's concern.
    Anonymous

• Wow, it's funny how diff mom's opinions are. I too think that the baby is just fine to go out. i never was big on all that paranoia with my daughter and she has the BEST immune system i have ever seen. She is so freakin healthy! Obviously keep the baby warm and bundled up and I think it is just fine.
    Anonymous

• To me, it would depend on where you're going and who all's going to be there. I wouldn't take a baby that young to church or anywhere else where there's a big crowd of people or lots of kids. But I wouldn't have a problem taking her to a (smallish) family dinner, and I would still make sure everyone washed their hands before holding/touching her.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:28 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• yes it is fine. If going in public do not allow anyone to touch the baby. If going to a relative's then make sure everyone washes their hands before touching the baby.
    rjpetty605

Answer by rjpetty605 at 10:33 PM on Dec. 21, 2009