Why do people do this?

When we are checking out of a store or just walking around it and my son is holding a toy, random adults will ask him if they can see the toy he is carrying. He of course always hands it to them without a second thought, but why do people ask this of him? I find it a little strange.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:06 PM on Dec. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• People are strange. I hate it when people offer to give kids candy in stores also. I turn around and tell them no, my kids don't take candy from strangers.
    legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 8:08 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Um, that has really never happened to me, who really cares... it's a frickin toy. Move on.
    Anonymous

• maybe they are shopping for a child that is close in age to your child and wants to know what your child is interested in so that they can pick a good gift
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:36 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• sometimes i ask other women their opinions on scents of candles or bodysprays if i'm buying for someone else...maybe i'm weird
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:37 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Maybe they're trying to engage your child in conversation?...I dunno that's just weird...my kids are only 17 months but as soon as they are old enough to understand they are going to learn that they don't interact with strangers. Get your hands off my toy freakshow! lol
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 9:22 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• That's never happened to me...?
    SAMNMAYASMOM

Answer by SAMNMAYASMOM at 9:24 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• I never thought about it but you are so right! Good observation. I always feel a little uncomfortable when strangers in a store or waiting in line want to make a conversation with my child. I'm glad to hear it happens to someone else and not to just me. The other thing that happens is asking him if they can have or take his toy home. When he tugs his toy closer they laugh at him being so possessive. I always assumed it was because they wanted to ask me questions about my family. I'm white and my son is black. It used to be, when he had hair, a lot of white people would come up to him and start to fondle his hair. I realized later it was because they were curious about what black hair feels like and they assumed that I was going to let them do this because I'm white too.  Its a relief to know other mothers are as uncomfortable as I am.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:02 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• I don't ask for a child's toy, but I do make faces at babies and toddlers while their parents are looking away, mostly because my kids are home and I am out and that kid is CUTE! If I make that baby laugh, I always tell their parents that their kid is adorable, because that is how I honestly feel! I suppose I am weird....harmless, but silly!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 11:04 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• OP~ frogdawg, you brought up a good point on the hair thing too, because that happens to him as well as the toy thing, "aww, he has such a cute hair cut" ~pat pat~. Weird...

Hehehe, I make faces at babies/toddlers too when I am out and about MamaRoberts.
    Anonymous

• Sounds like people are just trying to be friendly. Nothing wrong with that.

My daughter is "Miss Popularity" in our neighborhood because she's extremely friendly. People talk with her everytime we're taking a walk, or shopping, or whatever. They ask her about her toys, or ask her about Santa Claus, yada yada yada. I'm used to it. And it doesn't bother me.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 12:07 AM on Dec. 22, 2009