Cool or warm mist?

A long time ago my pediatrician told me to use whatever's opposite the weather outside. Well it's in the 40's at night here and all I have is a cool mist humidifier. My daughter's nose is runny and she sneezes a lot during the day but at night in her room she gets stuffed up, so will the cool mist not help since it's cold outside? She's 12 months.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:19 PM on Dec. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Cool mist helps with breathing issues warm mist can actually cause breathing to be more difficult.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 8:21 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Good rule of thumb is, if you have your heat on go with hot, if you have your air conditioner on, go with cold.
    Anonymous

• As a respiratory therapist, it really doesn't matter which you chose. I think that cool is better, personally. However, warm is very good just to heat the entire room as well as provide humidification.
    Anonymous

• Well, the warm ones can get hot so that's one reason why I have heard that they are not recommended. I would wonder if they are more prone to mold, but perhaps not...We always used the cool mist with DD.
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 11:06 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• I was told to use a cool mist no matter when. Something about the warm can cause molding? I don't really know but I just went and bought a cool mist humidifier and it has worked great!
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 11:47 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Cool mist is the current recommendation.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:35 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Cool is the current recommendation because children can get burnt on the warm ones. Right now we have a cool in the boys' room and a warm in our room. Both work the same except our windows get fogged up.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:49 AM on Dec. 22, 2009