avacodos

my older daughter has found a love of them. I don't like them so never have purchased them. How do you know they're ripe?

pagirl71

Asked by pagirl71 at 8:24 PM on Dec. 21, 2009 in Food & Drink

• If they have a good green color and are slightly soft when you squeeze them not hard and not squishy and try to make sure it isn't marked up.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 8:25 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• thanks
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:26 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• No problem, I love avacados. If you don't like them alone you can add pepper salt or I like to add tabasco. I eat them alone on bread with mayo pepper and tabasco it is super yummy.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 8:35 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• It is soooo yummy it is the best ever
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 9:10 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• The large green ones are the florida avacados, and the smaller darker green are from california and mexico. Try to pick non blemished avacados with a slight give. I chop up tomatos, onion, garlic, cilantro, and add it to mashed avacado, still left a bit chunky with a spritz of lime. The lime while adding a little taste will also help with discolortation. I don't have that prob as it never stays around here long.
    SEEKEROFSHELLS

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 10:53 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• We like Haas avocadoes. The smaller 'bumpy' ones. I buy them very green because they ripen so quickly. We put them in salads, on BLT's slived into wedges with a simple meal. If you need an easy way to peel and pit them..take a sharp knife and slice through to the pit long ways..all the way around. Take the two halves and twist apart. The take one half in your hand, pit up, drop your knife into the pit unitl it bites in. Then turn the knife. The entier pit comes out at once and leaves you two perfect half to fix as you will.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:17 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• This post made me want avocado thanks a lot. I get them rarely they are sooo expensive in Alaska.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 2:12 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• You can't go buy the color; they need to be a bit soft. It is difficult to explain without showing you., so ask the produce manager at a grocery store or produce market.

Avocado is a fantastic food, loaded with healthy fats for growing brains, it can lower cholesterol in adults, has lots of fiber, some cancer prevention properties, etc.

I eat at least 1/2 of an avocado every day.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:35 AM on Dec. 22, 2009