2 years old / no nap?

ok so my son has never like to sleep or nap, its been a battle since the day he was born.. he also wakes up so TERRIBLY crabby that I recently wondered how much longer I could take it, so today my mom watched him while I was at work and I told her to just play his nap by his mood .. well, to no surprise, he NEVER got or acted tired.. i picked him up at 5:30, he was still in a good mood and NO NAP.. brought him home and I put him to bed by 7... his normal bedtime was 8:30-9, but since he had no nap, I figured he'd need to go to bed.. he still didn't even act tired and it took me going in his room 4 times telling him to go to bed.. I thought some kids napped til they were 5 - I mean I know all kids are different but isn't 2 a little young to not nap anymore? and he Just turned 2 in Nov....

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 8:48 PM on Dec. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• My oldest stopped napping at 2. She just refused to go to sleep and would lie in bed talking to herself. So after awhile we instituted "quiet time" instead of nap time. She had to spend 1 hour in her room playing quietly because her younger brother and sister would be napping at that time and it was the only chance I got to take a break or nap (I had 3 kids under 3). She never had a problem playing by herself for extended periods of time so it was never an issue for her. She's 9 now and still never naps even when she is exhausted. The only time I've seen her nap in the last 7 years was when she was sick (which is rare).
    My 3yo hasn't been taking regular naps since she was 2 1/2. If she is acting tired of cranky I make her lie down or go to her room for quiet time. Otherwise she stays up. Bedtime is always 7pm for her no matter if she naps or not (same with my 9yo).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:53 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• My daughter is 3 and we went through this for over a year.. her doctor told me it is harder for a child to sleep at night when they have had no nap during the day.. its like if you stay up for a day or two and when you go to lay down you find yourself restless thinking of so much.. then wonder why you cannot sleep after being up 2 days.. he told me to try several things for nap time.. putting on soft music, putting ina dvd (better to rest and not sleep than to run ragged all day), we found the best way and fastest way was to lay down with her.. we sing 2 songs and say our ABCs one time then its quiet time and shes usually out right then.. it took us about 2 weeks to get it down but after about 2 weeks - she is easier to put down both nap and bedtime.. now there still are days she fights it, but for the most part its cake!
    luckycharms0406

Answer by luckycharms0406 at 8:56 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• My son stopped napping at 2. He would take an occasional nap, but not on a regular basis. Drove his day care teachers crazy!!

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:06 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Good call making an earlier bed time for him.

But, why go in his room 4 time to say go to sleep? ...I'm sure that interaction with you is just what he wants, and is exactly what he's staying awake for...because he knows if he stays awake, he'll get to see you again (angry or not, toddlers like to see their parents over being bored in their room alone). If you stop going into his room, he won't get it at first, but if you stick to it for a few days, I'll bet he'll go to sleep.

Also, you can give him the opportunity to nap by leaving him alone for an hour in his bed. Tell him he doesn't have to sleep, but it is quiet time. You can give him some books to look at so he's not super bored. Amazingly when I thought my 2-year-old was done with naps, when I started enforcing "quiet time" anyway, she usually falls asleep. On occasion, she'll stay up with her books quietly chattering to herself, but that's the rare exception now.
    Anonymous

• No way. I think all kids need some sort of down time during the day. Even if it is you having him look at books - in his bed - for an hour or two (you'd be suprised how often he would fall asleep).
    Also, when you go back into his room to 'tell him' to go back to bed... don't say anything to him. Simply pick him up & place him back in bed every time. Don't make eye contact, don't interact with him at all. After a few days, he'll realize the deal and comply. If you don't make him understand this at this age, you will have LOADS of trouble later.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 8:08 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Mine doesn't usually do naps either and she's 2 1/2. She gets tired around 5, which is a terrrible time for a nap! BUt she doesn't get too cranky so I let her stay up and just have an earlier bed time for her. She goes to day care and sometimes gets a nap, or will stay up for an hour and then go to sleep but only gets a short nap. All kids are different.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:10 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Kids nap til age 5??? lolol Most children start to give up naps between age 2-3. Some nap longer. My oldest napped until 3.5 and my middle child until 2.5 and my 26 month old still naps. They are all different and all require different amounts of sleep. I would just do what you did last night and move up his bedtime a little.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 9:13 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I forgot to mention that I do think all kids need some quiet, down time, even if they are not sleeping.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 9:15 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• My son never napped, but we made sure to turn the TV off for a while and make sure he had some quiet time. My daughter though, napped like a champ until she was 4 and still takes one sometimes, at 9 years old.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:02 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• wow, see, I can't ever to get him to "sit quietly" - maybe I am doing something wrong... quiet time? alone when he knows I am home in the livingroom? he just would not do it..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:32 PM on Dec. 22, 2009