how to take the pacifier habit away?

My baby is 8mths and she go crazy without her pacifier, even while sleep @ night she wakes up cryin' just because her pacifier falled off, what can I do?

Cici09

Asked by Cici09 at 9:19 PM on Dec. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i would just do it cold turkey and let her cry
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 9:27 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Just take it away she will be upset for maybe a couple days but then it will be long forgotten a couple days of tantrums is better than the tantrums that last months later on do it now. I did it at 8 months and it took her 3 days and she was fine.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 9:27 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• just taking it is all that worked for my daughter it was hell the first night or two but she got over it, she found one a few months later taht she had lost and threw it in the trash i was so proud of her.
    ashleywilkerson

Answer by ashleywilkerson at 9:32 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Thankfully my DD didn't want her passy as soon as she got her first teeth. I didn't have to take it from her.
    Good luck though
    ramzmomma

Answer by ramzmomma at 10:36 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• We cut the tip off my oldest dd's, she didn't want it after that.
    crazytexan

Answer by crazytexan at 10:39 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Cut a hole in the tip then she won't want it (hopefully!) anymore. We did that with my son but he was around 2 years old. It didn't take long and all passy's were in the trash because he didn't want them! But he was a little older and kind of understood when we told him that they were "broken".
    all4mymarine

Answer by all4mymarine at 10:40 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Hmmm...I would say to just wait a bit but it seems to be affecting the house's sleep. I have never heard of putting a hole in it, it seems brilliant! With DD, I decided one day to just put it away (she had just turned one). I made sure she never saw it. I don't think she even asked for it.
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 11:04 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• We waited to after our twins were 18 months. Then we took it away except for night time and nap. We are thinking about taking nap time away soon.
    palexander

Answer by palexander at 11:26 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• My son is 15 months old and still has his. Personally, I think it is ok for them to have an attachment of some kind if it sooths them, but that is just my opinion. 8 months seems awfully young, cuz you can't reason with them. Although it might actually work BETTER because they forget things pretty quickly :) With my first ds, I did the same thing as pp - I cut the tips off and he didn't want them anymore. I plan to do the same with this one, but probably not let him have it as long as first ds. One thing that I did for night time was put 1 or 2 extras in the crib. If they lost the one in their mouth, they would just find another one. It saved me from having to get up all the time and find it for them :)
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 11:30 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Obviously she needs it. Why would you want to take it away? Babies have strong suckling needs and some have stronger needs than others. She should be allowed to have it until she is at least 2.

By the way, I breastfed my three and none of them used a pacifier. They didn't need one.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:34 AM on Dec. 22, 2009