Can I Beat Her Yet? Ok, JK, But I Do Need Help.

Someone's gonna trip about that, NO I DO NOT BEAT MY CHILD! Now that that is out of the way, lol, DD is 13 months, almost 14. Lately she's been a hellion. She doesn't have her own room to go to to play with her toys, but she does have her toybox full of toys easily accessible in the dining room. Which is connected to the living room. It's all a big open space. And her daddy is deployed, and he was the main dicispliner.
Now that I got the backstory out, lately she's started this whole screaming thing. Screaming NO, and just screaming, either when she doesn't get her way, or she gets pissed off, or whatever. Hmmm guess that would be a tantrum. Oh, and she yells OW too combined in there. For no reason. And she gets into everything, her nana's knicknacks, the cabinets under the entertainment center, nana's books. And rarely plays with her toys. I have tried telling her no, spanking her (2 swats, doesn't even phase her)...cont...

Sparta.

Asked by Sparta. at 9:23 PM on Dec. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• smacking her hand, and telling her no. I was thinking time out, but how would I get her to stay in time out, and for how long? And is she too young for time out? A friend suggested flicking her forehead, (NOT hard, just to get her attention since nothing else works), and I am contemplating that....What do I do mamas? I know, every parenting style is differeent, blahblahblah, I just need some ideas to try, someone who has been there, done that, and is it normal? Is it possibly cause her daddy is gone? Idk what to do anymore.
    Sparta.

Answer by Sparta. at 9:25 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• get everything locked up and out of her way, and ignore her when she does that
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 9:26 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• I would do that true, that was my idea, but my mother says she refuses to do that, that we need to teach her to stay out of things..
    Sparta.

Answer by Sparta. at 9:35 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• At this age, it's normal for children to get into everything and anything. Put away valuables and things you don't want her to touch. Other than that, let her explore. It's a major hassle (my toddler went thru a phase where she pulled things out of drawers and cabinets, emptied out her toy bin, played with the toilet paper, etc), but it only lasted a few months. Enjoy it while it lasts...

Try to use phrases other than "no". Instead of telling her what she CAN'T do, tell her what she CAN do. I tell my toddler often, "We color on paper", when I see her heading towards the walls with her crayons. Just an example.

Good luck! :-)
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 9:48 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Time out is one of the most practical methods but its gonna take some work. Put her in her room. Do not turn the light off thats messed up and let her kick scream and cry. don't lock her in either that can be tramatizing if she trys to get out put her back this could go on for a awhile but she needs to learn there is a conseqence for misbehaving a baby should only be in timeout for 3-5 mins STRAIGHT she'll probably pass out from crying the first time and you start again tomorrow when she starts up again. Eventually she'll learn if she doesn't fight her punishment it won't last that long and if she behaves she won't have to worry about it at all... Good luck
    Jillybeans24

Answer by Jillybeans24 at 9:50 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Jillybeans24
    Time out is one of the most practical methods but its gonna take some work. Put her in her room. Do not turn the light off thats messed up and let her kick scream and cry. don't lock her in either that can be tramatizing if she trys to get out put her back this could go on for a awhile but she needs to learn there is a conseqence for misbehaving a baby should only be in timeout for 3-5 mins STRAIGHT she'll probably pass out from crying the first time and you start again tomorrow when she starts up again. Eventually she'll learn if she doesn't fight her punishment it won't last that long and if she behaves she won't have to worry about it at all... Good luck

Time out for a 13 month old........????
    Anonymous

• Jilly bean, she doesn't have her own room?
    Sparta.

Answer by Sparta. at 10:03 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• anon, i kinda agree, isn't 13 months too early for time out? around 2 yeah sure, but then this is my first, so idk really.

fallaya, are you sure it will only last a few months? lol I can't wait for it to be over. And I like the idea of not using no, since she's learned to say it back to me. And we are staying wiht my mom while DF is deployed, and she won't let me put anything up. She says she needs to learn to stay out of things. (which irritates the hell outta me, uhm if it was put up, she wouldn't get into it.)
    Sparta.

Answer by Sparta. at 10:06 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• welcome to the terrible twos (and whoever named it that was smoking something cause we all know that they start at one! lol) and my son turned 2 in july and has been going through these tantrums since he was 1- i have 2 older boys too and they were easier so ignoring the tantrums worked with them but this kid is impossible- i have tried everything with him and nothing works- so im just crossing my fingers and putting dangerous things out of reach and telling him as much as i can and hoping everything works out lol- it could be because her dad is deployed- and if so maybe look through picture books with her that have daddy in them and remind her that he will be back soon? i hope that helps and good luck!
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 10:24 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• imeouts wont work at 13 mts. she is still to young to know right from wrong. redirect her. by the way it is only going to get worse and the fact that her dad is deployed is also influicing the behavior. my dd is almost 3 and she is still terrible, i do timeouts with her and i do spank but she is 3 and she does no right from worng. right now you have to direct her. if she does something wrong like she is giving you attiitufe take her toys away and say be nice to mommy k. give her 5 mts with no toys and give them back,try to give her things she can do on her own and try to avoide the word no, she is trying to become independent and things will be a rolllercoaster. hang in there
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 10:36 PM on Dec. 21, 2009