Does anyone have a child that gets to spend every other weekend with the father/mother? How does it work for you? Can he take her out of the state and go to her school whenever he wants to? Also sense he only has every other weekend do you have to tell him where she is at all times and what her babysitters contact info is? Remember he only gets her every other weekend and that is it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:32 PM on Dec. 21, 2009 in Relationships

• My ex gets our boys the 1st and 3rd weekends of the month. We share holidays, and he comes to sports that they are in. Otherwise I don't tell him anything else. I have sole physical custody, our boys are free to call him when they want. Their Dad lives out of state. I still live in the state our children were born in. They see him on a set schedule, but if we have to change it, I let him know. He's a disney dad, but that's ok, we have a very stable life at home and they know that. Just stick to a routine so they know what to expect, and if you feel he needs to know something then tell him.
    You don't have to tell him where she is all the time. I always tell my ex if something happens, he will be the first to know.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:47 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• My ex and I have been divorced for 4 yrs and my daughter has spend every other weekend with him since. I have sole custody which by definition means that I get to make all medical and educational decisions for her without consulting him. He still has rights to see her though and to have an opinion in her upbringing. Yes, he can take her out of state for a vacation (and he has done so) and I don't have to approve. Yes, he can go to her school if he wishes but we live 3 hrs away from each other so that isn't an issue with me. I do not have to tell him where she is at all times or give him daycare info. I do choose to share a lot with him though because he is her father and I appreciate his involvement in her life because I know she needs that. It's a hard balance but just try to keep perspective on things. Make decisions that are best for your child, even if they are tough on you.
    Comfycozy77

Answer by Comfycozy77 at 1:34 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• We lived in Indiana and my sons went to their father's every other weekend. He couldn't take them out of state without my permission or court approval. It would be kidnapping. He could go to their school and get any info that you could get. He could also get any medical info. He could go to doctor visits or visit in the hospital. He never did any of these things.

You don't have to tell him what the child is doing all the time or talk to him. He can go to school activities, sports like little league, scouts, and other things parents go to. You need to let him know about those activities. He should know the name and phone number of the babysitter. You can do this in writting.

In Indiana the father would have the right of first refusal. He could take care of the child instead of a baby sitter. He can't charge you or subtract money from support.

Remember, he is a parent also.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:58 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• my ex isn't "allowed" to take him anywhere without letting me know unless it's like walmart or his mom's house. that was mostly in the beginning. i wouldn't allow him to take him out of state without telling me and would be pretty mad if he did, i wouldn't do that to him. but really now i don't care bc i can trust his judgement for the most part. i would more than allow him to go to his school (if he were in school) and have lunch, but not to disrupt him or take him out early unless we discussed it. we take him to the dr together, occassionally he'll go to my mom's house and hang out with all his kids there and just enjoy the day there, we have a good relationship as far as being friendly. it's good for the kid to see you can get along.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 10:00 AM on Dec. 22, 2009