Speech Delays, Prematurity

My son is now 2.5. He was 12 weeks early. But all he says is 2-4 words. He is in speech classes. He seems to hear okay, I think. Does anyone else have problems like this? It's so frusturating! I'm about ready to lose my mind b/c I don't know what he wants most of the time...
All I get is hand tugging and a nod of the head...I'm at my wit's end...

TBSNBubblegum

Asked by TBSNBubblegum at 9:35 PM on Dec. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son was 6 weeks early and is about to go on 2 here in January. He says SO much but ONLY when he wants and you have to listen for it. I'm pretty sure that your son is a little behind but it sounds like its nothing too much to worry about...he's being a toddler a lot of the time and I'm not sure about the parenting but that MIGHT be a problem. Be consistant with trying to teach new words. Dont force too much on him. with my son, until he says please, or more, or milk or all of the above I do not get it for him and he's learned that he cant have without asking which makes knowing what he wants ALOT easier.
    Anonymous

• Our son has autism, so yes I know what you mean. He didn't talk until he was 5. BUT like the lady above said, try to increase his vocab by having him say his requests (juice, drink, please, snack etc) before you give it to him. That helped us a ton, also we have been doing that with our almost 2 yr old who wouldn't say anything, but now a few weeks later, he says a lot more. Best wishes!!
    jeana

Answer by jeana at 10:28 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• My son was premature and started speech therapy around 12 months and didn't end until he was around 10. Most of the time he went to therapy at a university clinic. They decided to do a preschool with 1 therapy student for every 2 kids. They stopped it after a couple of months. The kids were picking up the speech problems of the other kids. They went back to doing traditional one on one therapy.

I have a toddler grandson. I taught him to clap when he was around 9 months. It turned out to be great because he will clap when he is happy. He now knows more and drink. He is 16 mo and doesn't talk. He gets frustrated when he is tired.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:28 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I meant to answer this sooner. My twins were 8 weeks early they have delays still, and speech was a major issue in our house. They started therapy at 1 year. On the practical side, start signing with him. I will post a site later where you can get most signs in a fairly clear picture. It will in no way hinder his use of spoken language. Just speak the word you are signing. We did mostly nouns like food items, milk, juice, more, full, hungry, clothing items, sleepy, me, mom, dad, sister, twin. There are a lot you can do. If you want him to pick up the words better you can print pictures of the signs and place them on what you are signing.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 8:03 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I just did a quick serch and this one has video also http://aslbrowser.commtechlab.msu.edu/browser.htm
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 8:10 PM on Dec. 22, 2009