Could my toddler be deaf?

My FIL mentioned to my DH a couple of weeks ago that he thought my 17 month old son might be hearing impaired since he wasn't responding to his name being called. My husband and I have been keeping an eye on this for the last couple of weeks and he doesn't always respond when his name is called or when a loud noise is made. He has a few words in his vocabulary: Mama, Dada, Baba (which is what he calls our dog Baxter), wow and go. Loud noises used to scare him a lot, but not so much now.

I talked to my pediatrician a couple of weeks ago when we were in there and he said that we should keep an eye on him and if it starts to be noticeable that he is not hearing things to bring him in.

Tonight, after he had fallen asleep, my husband and I went into his room and banged 2 iron pots together over his bed and he didn't budge. I'm planning on calling the pediatrician tomorrow, but at the moment I am completely freaked out.

Lissa16

Asked by Lissa16 at 10:01 PM on Dec. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I really dont think you have too much to worry about but seriously two pots above his head ISNT GOING TO HELP his hearing :). Your doctor should have and you should demand if you are this worried a hearing test and honestly im not sure what that would consist of at such a young age. my son is about to turn two and has selective hearing only because he is a lil monster and not cause he's deaf. He hears when he wants to! Thats how kids are. But relax....stressing will do nothing but hurt you....call the doctor and demand a hearing test and no more pot banging over the poor guy's head :)
    Anonymous

• My dd was like that as a toddler but her ears were fine. She just didn't pay much attention. And your son could just be sleeping very tight. Since he's talking though, I don't think you should panic.
    Emmagr

Answer by Emmagr at 10:23 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• It is SUPER common for toddlers that young not to respond like that. My son doesn't always respond either, but his hearing is perfectly fine. Toddlers have a rather "awesome" skill of tuning things out going on around them. They also have selective hearing, especially when they're doing something they're not supposed to. It's hard to tell at this age whether it's a hearing problem or just your child being selective about what he responds to.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:36 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• if anything it could be that he has build up in his ears. I know when my brother was little my parents were terrified he was deaf, but all they had to do was put some tubes in his ears and that let everything drain out and it fixed everything great!! so dont worry yourself too much. it could be a simple solution!
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 11:47 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• My son would not respond unless he was yelled at. He also kept getting ear infections so they put tubes in his ears and now he can hear fine. I would definetly request a hearing test and possibly a referral to an ENT.
    jessicazeksmom

Answer by jessicazeksmom at 9:10 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• These are also signs of autism....when combined with other signs.
    Anonymous