How can I get my son off his bottle in the middle of the night?

My son is nine months old & he is still drinking 2-3 bottles during the middle of the night. He will wake up until he gets a bottle. I need sleep...HELP!!!

myxander4

Asked by myxander4 at 10:07 PM on Dec. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think you will find the real problem is during the day. If he is getting plenty to eat, staying awake, and getting lots of stimulation during the day; than he will fill too full and be too sleepy to wake up at night. Both my boys slept through the night by 1 month. I didn't have to force it or let them cry for hours. It is more natural than you think. A 9 month old shouldn't be napping more than 2 1/2 hours a day, and that should be split up into two naps. They should be eating three main meals assisted my two snacks. When I say meals, that means a full meal (veggie, fruit, protein). My babies schedules were thus: 7am wake up eat breakfast 9 30 snack and nap. 12pm lunch 3pm snack and nap. 5pm dinner, 6 30 bath 7 bottle ( or sippy depending on age) brush teeth/gums and bed with a snuggle/story. Remember to lay them down awake when possiible. Putting themselves to sleep is an important skill
    pa_ool

Answer by pa_ool at 1:47 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• just refuse it. take one bottle a night away at a time until you get him down to nothing. my son was the same way with the boobie...difference was it was harder to take away the boobie lol! Finally I just had to straight up tell him no and be firm, he cried and cried but after a day or two he was just fine with it.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 10:09 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Just don't give him one of them. Then don't give him another a few nights later. Keep going until he doesn't have one at all.
    He will cry but you have to wean him from that or you will go crazy.

My son is 6 months old and goes all night without feeding. He does wake up but he has a toy with him to play with and a mobil to look at so he is fine.
    rjpetty605

Answer by rjpetty605 at 10:32 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• IDK, my daughter was still waking up a couple of times during the night at 9 months too. I just fed her, and we both got sleep that way. She just turned 12 months and sleeps all through the night without a bottle, has been for over a month, so in my experience it doesn't last forever. My oldest didn't stop waking up for a bottle til 16 months.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:52 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• it's growth spurt time, let him eat.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:05 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Breastfed babies that age often nurse at night. It is only humane to give the child a bottle if you aren't breastfeeding.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:30 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Good lord! You're gonna have to listen to some crying but he'll catch on quickly if you slowly cut out those bottles. Make sure he has a good bottle before bed. I also recall reading something about giving him a bit more formula powder in the last bottle before bed but don't quote me on that because I never did it with my kids and I was never sure how safe that was anyways. I have 17 month old twins that stopped feeding during the night at 3 months old but I would do last feeding around 11pm and they would sleep till 5 or 6am before they were hungry again.

You're right, you do need sleep. You're the boss and crying won't hurt him. He'll learn, they are smart little creatures. GOod luck!
    sgtdemanda

Answer by sgtdemanda at 6:58 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I would feel bad if I didn't nurse my son at night when he woke up (he's 9 months and gets up 2-3 times) Plus he's up for like 5 minutes. The one night I was sick in the bathroom and didn't hear him it took me 2 hours to get him back to sleep. Do you know what you are in for?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:25 AM on Dec. 22, 2009