What can happen if you do not take your prenatals?

I have cut them in half and they still make my stomach very upset. Does anyone have any advice on keeping them down?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:17 PM on Dec. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You can take children's chewable, or gummy vitamins while you're having a hard time keeping down the prenatals. I've also heard that a serving on Total cereal has the same vitamin content and can be eaten in trade for prenatals when you can't keep them down.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 10:18 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Check with your doctor. Prenatals have certain vitamins that are needed by the developing baby. Your doctor may have alternatives or suggestions. Folic acid in a certain amount is one that comes to mind as being very important for the baby to have before birth.

Answer by Bmat at 10:21 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• I couldn't keep them down at all during my first pregnancy, so I tried to eat cereal and drink carnation instant breakfast (two things fortified with all the vitamins in pre-natals).

Talk with your doc, you can find the needed nutrition in foods and drinks if you are diligent, read lots of labels, and can keep them down.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:30 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• There are different vitimins you can take that may not upset your stomach. There are also different types of prenatals that may keep your stomach calm. Prenatals are basically a boost in the vitimins you should be getting everday. The reason for that boost is due to your body overproducing what it already does to grow the baby. The blood runs through two bodies, so you need to boost your iron to keep from becoming anemic. For example. Talk with your OB about other things you can try to keep your stomach calm and still get the vitimins you need.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:31 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Bmat is right, some are very important. Lack of folic acid in the diet during pregnancy has been linked to birth defects. Folic acid is very important.
    SEEKEROFSHELLS

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 10:39 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• The prescribed prenatals made me sick so i bought the store brand. for some reason i could hold those down
    Anonymous

• The only thing that is totally necessary for the baby is folic acid. Its probably the calcium or iron that is making you sick so IMO you would be better to just switch to straight folic acid. It wont upset your stomach and the baby really does need it for its nuerological development. The rest of the stuff in the pre-natals is really for your. The baby will take what it needs from you (ie calcium) so the pre-natals help keep you in good shape. I couldnt take them for any of my pregnancies and I got cavities during #1 and #2 (still prego with #3 so I dont know if I will have them this time too)
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 10:54 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• I didn't take my prenatals with my twins at all. I did drink Boost (the nutrition drink). With our youngest, again no prenatals. All three had problems but none due to not taking the prenatals.
    palexander

Answer by palexander at 11:03 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• I took an all natural prenatal. All of th e ingredients are from natural, unprocessed sources and are sooo easy to digest.

Look into it. Very important to take for you and baby.. especially iron.
    Anonymous

• 4th pregnancy, no prescribed pre-natals. They make me violently sick (vomiting, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting). I just take a multi vitamin and a folic acid.
    Anonymous