My sister thinks she is invincable

I knew my sister smoked pot and maybe sometimes took a perc.. I didn't agree and she knew it but for the most part I thought she was doing what other college kids did well BAM last May she was arrested for possesion of a needle. Yep apparently around the time she stopped answering my phone calls she decided to start sticking needles in her arms. She has bleed my parents dry with lawyers court probation fines drug tests mandatory conuseling. (no one pays for that its on you at 40 a session 3x week). She works but buys her herion and then comes crying to my folks when she needs money. My parents know that doing this isn't helping but there scared she'll go to jail if she doesn't comply. The thing is she knows this. I swear she thinks she is invincable. She doesn't think anything bad will happen to her. She has been like this her whole life but in this sitution she can wind up dead or in jail.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:43 PM on Dec. 21, 2009 in Health

• OP here... I know she needs to want help and to get better and sometimes they need to hit rock bottom but in this sitution if we show her tough love she'll wind up in jail and trust me she won't be able to hack it. She is to small and too week, So then we either do this and pray she survives or keep helping her out until she one day hits rock bottom.... Any advice??
    Anonymous

• I agree. the girl is gunna have to go to jail. anyone helping her is really just reinforcing this behavior and belief of invicability. she is gunna have to hit the bottom of the barrel and then hopefully she looks up before it is to late... drug addiction is a horrible thing. good luck to you and be strong
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 11:01 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• You're parents are being enablers. In other words they're feeding her addiction.

I know they want to keep her alive and happy, but if they're going to pay for anything, no money should go through her hands. they should pay the bills directly to the companies, or buy her groceries directly.

Also they need to let her go to jail and stay there without bailing her out.

It sounds terrible, but it's the only way to give her a wake up call, it's what addicts call "Rock bottom" before they start recovery.
    Anonymous

• I know they want to keep her alive and happy, but if they're going to pay for anything, no money should go through her hands. they should pay the bills directly to the companies, or buy her groceries directly.

I agree, they should not allow her to handle money. It really sad, many areas are going through a heroin problem. Its really cheap right now. Kids start with Rx opiates and then realize heroin is cheaper and stronger. I live in a nice area and was shocked to learn the high school has been using drug sniffing dogs daily to combat the problem. I wish you the best of luck...your all just going to have to keep trying to get her to respect herself.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 12:26 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• better in jail then dead...right? Let her pay the consequences for her actions. She needs to learn that she is responsible for her actions, she can't expect her parents to always bail her out, because sooner or later they won't be able to anymore.
    robyann

Answer by robyann at 11:49 AM on Dec. 22, 2009