It is really bothering me about my 16month old EATING HABITS, please HELP ME

My daughter is now 16 months old. She has been eating "normal solid adult foods" since about 12 months... She LOVED all of her baby food, and she didn't exactly want to give it up, NOW she wont eat it either... My question is, right now we are staying with my grandparents bc my husband lost his job... So whenever she cries for something, of course THEY let her have it... I have asked them nicely not to, and sometimes they wont and she pitches a FIT.... When they don't and I sit her in her booster chair with her plate ( green beans, mashed potatoes, a pieces of pork chop) that is what I cooked last night, and she WOULD NOT EAT, I mean this is EVERY MEAL TIME, it is starting to get OLD. She would rather have a gummy snack ..I mean it is BULL CORN!!!!!! She loves mozzarella cheese, and grapes, and bananas... But she CAN'T JUST EAT THAT. Please help with any advise that you have please.. And she used to LOVE green beans and corn..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:43 PM on Dec. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• What does she get if she won't eat what you're trying to feed here or want her to eat?
    sgtdemanda

Answer by sgtdemanda at 10:54 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Some toddlers go through periods when they only eat a few foods. The La Leache League Advisory Board nutrition was a professor at the university where I went to grad school. I got to hear her give talks on toddler nutrition at conferences and at the university. She says that instead of trying to meet their nutrition needs every day think of what they eat over a month. If they have a bad day a good day makes up for it.

'Throwing a fit' is a parent taught behavior. If you don't learn the skills to prevent tantrums now you are going to have ongoing behavior problems. Love & Limits is a great little toddler discipline book by Elizabeth Crary. She has a website called Star Parenting.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:34 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• My Daughter is 18 months old and she had times where she will eat everything under the sun then the next day all she will eat is Bananas and rice and small snacks. what i do with her is we sit down to eat what ever is made for that meal. If she does not eat i make her a snack a little while later and try that some days it is a never ending battle but as long as she eats something i am happy. Not everyday is she going to eat the healthiest meals but as long as she OKi don't mind . But i total understand about the snacks with grandparents me and my hubby live with my parents and the sneak her snacks everyday but i remember my gram sneaking us snacks when we where kids to so i just let it slid most the time. As long as it is not right before meals which i have told them and there understand that is my rule.

BellazBabyMomma

Answer by BellazBabyMomma at 3:26 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• She may be in what I call this the air-o-tarian phase! They all go through it. First, make sure that she is drinking water, so she doesn't get dehydrated. Most important, do not create a monster who only eats nuggets, mac and cheese and hot dogs.
    Just keep offering a variety of healthy foods, and eventually she will start eating. Frozen foods are fun to play with, and will get eaten, like peas, blueberries and corn. Chunks of avocado and tofu are loaded with great nutrition, and are fun to squish between little fingers. I have never met a toddler who wouldn't eat hummus (lots of calcium, protein, good fats and iron), you can mix it with a mashed egg. Offer cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta and veggies with marinara or peanut sauce or cheese sauce.

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:08 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• We use the 3 bite rule. You must try 3 bites of what is on your plate; if you don't like it, you fix yourself peanut butter and honey on whole grain toast with a kiwi or apple. Even my husband is expected to follow the rule.
    If you cave now, you will forever have a picky monster on your hands. I promise that your child will not starve. Moms who cave are part of the reason why by the end of next year one half of American children will be both undernourished and overweight. One third of children born in this century will develop type 2 diabetes.
    Keep offering a variety of healthy foods; stop buying junk foods until the picky phase has passed

Answer by rkoloms at 6:09 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• My daughter is 22 months and has been that way since she was about 15months she used to be such a great eater, then one day it was like she decided she was not going to eat anything anymore, She has her days where she eats really good, but then there are other days where I'm lucky if she eats anything more than cereal. I have noticed if I don't force her to eat and don't be so scheduled as I used to be she will eat when she gets hungry it's easier as they get a bit older cause they start to tell you when they are hungry. I hope this helps just don't force her to eat, if you have to just give her some crackers or dry cereal unitl she is ready to eat an actual meal at least then you will feel better knowing she is consuming something!
    KyleesMama0208

Answer by KyleesMama0208 at 10:23 PM on Dec. 28, 2009