Latex allergy questions

I was just diagnosed with a latex allergy that apparently is severe and has been causing a lot of health issues with me. My doctors had misdiagnosed me with anxiety (bc of frequent heart racing, hives, shortness of breath, feeling like my throat would close up, nausea, gi problems) and apparently it is caused by the latex allergy. What all do I need to avoid besides the obvious (condoms, rubber gloves..) There is a whole list of foods to avoid as well. Does anyone have information on this allergy. Help would be good. The doctor said it is a learning game and there is latex in things you'd never think of (like buttons on your tv remote) THANKS!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:53 PM on Dec. 21, 2009 in Health

• You can often check labels and they will say "Contains natural rubber latex" or something like that or if it's latex free it'll say "Latex free" or "Contains no latex". Not always, but often you can do that. Bras and underwear can contain latex in the waistbands and straps and such, but depending on how severe your allergy is, it may not bother you. I have a moderate allergy, can't use condoms or latex gloves, but I can wear bras and undies with no problems. Can't use a latex bandaid, either. They do make non latex bandaids, condoms, and gloves. As for vaccines, I found that just making sure any dr, surgeon, whatever I come in contact with, telling them that I am allergic to latex does the trick. They then automatically check things to make sure it's ok. They have let me know a couple of times that I can't have this or that or do this or that b/c of my allergy.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 7:54 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Most shots you shouldnt get with a latex allergy
    They make condoms and rubber gloves latex free now.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 10:55 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Which shots do I need to avoid? Do you know why you should avoid them? Thank you. Each website I've looked at seems to add something else in. It gets pretty confusing! I appreciate the help!
    Anonymous

• Latex is in several vaccines. Research that before getting anymore.

* Balloons
    * Dishwashing gloves
    * Waistbands on clothing
    * Rubber toys
    * Pacifiers and baby-bottle nipples
    * Rubber bands
    * Adhesive tape and bandages
    * Diapers and sanitary pads
    * Condoms

Always wear or carry a medical alert bracelet, necklace or keychain that warns emergency medical technicians (EMTs) and doctors that you are allergic to latex. Talk to your doctor about getting a prescription for an epinephrine self-injection pen, to use in case of a serious reaction. You may wish to carry non-latex gloves with you all the time for use by emergency personnel if you need medical attention.

DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 12:03 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Im not to sure but you can ALWAYS ask the dr. I think the flu shot is one though that you cant have being allergic to latex. You can get it but it would have to be in a glass syringe not a plastic one.

Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 1:24 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Just an FYI - most EMS personal now use Latex free gloves such as Nitrile b/c of the rise in latex allergies. I am a medical professional workingin a high school and we are also latex free. Bandaids and ace type wraps also can contain latex.

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 2:16 AM on Dec. 22, 2009