What else can I do???

I have a 13 month old baby and I switched her to regular milk and homemade food when she was 11 months old. My baby is streamly constipated all the time and I don't know what to do any more. I give her prune juice, prune sauce, natural oil that supposed to help her go, massage on her belly and leg exercise but nothing seems to be working. I even tried putting her back on baby food, but that is not working either. I feel horrible every time I see my little Angel screaming in pain, and even worse it breaks my heart when I have to go with the Q-tip and Vaseline to help her go. I don't know what else to do. Can someone help please???

GodPRKitty

Asked by GodPRKitty at 11:02 PM on Dec. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter had a very hard time adjusting to cow's milk when she was that age also. She would have screaming fits because her stomach hurt so bad. I finally switched her to soy milk and she did wonderfully.

In retrospect - at 8 yrs old I took her to a pediatric allergist to have a scratch test done for allergies. Low and behold - she is allergic to milk. Not saying that your child is allergic but not all children can digest cow's milk well and after reading quite a bit of information about it and talking to my pediatrician I've discovered it's not necessarily healthy or necessary for children. This is just what worked for me and something you may want to consider.
    Comfycozy77

Answer by Comfycozy77 at 1:00 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Take her to the doctor. They can help give you some remedies.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:14 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• The last time I took her he said it was normal because of the change of milk and that it will pass, but it's going on three months and she still the same :-(
    GodPRKitty

Answer by GodPRKitty at 11:22 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• if the doc isnt doing anything I would go to a different doc to get some answers. thats not normal. I wish I had an answer for you! im sorry I dont! My best advice would be to just go to a new doctor to get some answers
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 11:44 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Cow's milk constipates. That is part of the reason you aren't supposed to start cow's milk until after 12 months and the child is a little older and may be able to process milk better. Milk is hard on the digestive system, liver, and kidneys.

Human children don't need to drink cow's milk. Cow's milk is for baby cows. Drinking milk can cause constipation, anemia, and obesity. If you do give your child milk the max recommended is 2 servings. Kids like yogurt, cheese, pizza, ice cream and so many things with milk it can be hard to limit milk to 2 servings just with the food toddlers eat.

Cow's milk has protein, calcium, and added vitamin D. Toddlers can get all these things from other foods or supplements.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:12 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I too would try switching to soy milk. maybe even soy foods. and also get a new doctor. that isnt normal and i would want my child checked out completely before just saying nothings wrong. i hope she feels better!!! good luck!!
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 4:52 AM on Dec. 22, 2009