Why? What's the big deal?

I don't understand why some parents won't let their children believe in
Santa? What harm does it do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:43 PM on Dec. 21, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I don't really get it myself, but I also really don't care if other people do the whole Santa thing or not. It's their kids, not mine.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 11:47 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• I know what you mean but sometimes it's the kids at school who know there is no such thing as Santa and then your child comes home and ask if this is true like for me I got busted wrapping gifts and my son knew but wasn't upset he said he had a feeling us parents had to do something with Christmas I just begged him not to mention it to his little sister he said ok....so maybe one more year in believe in Santa...I know what you are saying why does the other kid have to ruin it for the ones that still believe it was fun while it lasted.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 11:55 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Sometimes lying is necessary.

----------------------------------------------------------------
    Death: Humans need fantasy to *be* human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.
    Susan: With tooth fairies? Hogfathers?
    Death: Yes. As practice, you have to start out learning to believe the little lies.
    Susan: So we can believe the big ones?
    Death: Yes. Justice, mercy, duty. That sort of thing.
    Susan: They're not the same at all.
    Death: You think so? Then take the universe and grind it down to the finest powder, and sieve it through the finest sieve, and then show me one atom of justice, one molecule of mercy. And yet, you try to act as if there is some ideal order in the world. As if there is some, some rightness in the universe, by which it may be judged.
    Susan: But people have got to believe that, or what's the point?
    Death: You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?
    Anonymous

• lol, i believed till I was in the fourth grade, everyone else made fun of me but I was SURE that santa didn't come to them because the didn't believe, and that as long as you did he came....even after my mom told me that her and my dad bought the presents I made up this Hiarbrained story that santa came found the presents my parents bought and put them under the tree....idk....i had a wild imagination and an innocent heart i guess...lolololol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I have 4 kids and I never tell them he is real or fake....I have just always left it alone...they don't visit Santa at the mall though because I hate crowds and long lines. My 16 yr just told me yesterday that she always knew he was a fake....all i could do is feel like I wasted time with her dad because we are divorced and would take turns playing Santa.
    One year Santa was at his house and the next year ours.....she says she always knew it was us taking turns. Now with my 5 yr old I just don't care. He is just somebody that make up some goods shows once a year.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:12 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I didn't want my son to think he didn't get a lot of presents because he wasn't a 'good enough' child.
    I wanted my son to know presents came from me.
    I wanted to be honest.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:22 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I figure to each his own. We've talked about Santa to my son and he's visited Santa. We watch Santa movies, and we read stories, but we don't tell him that "Santa is going to bring you lots and lots of presents" or anything like that. We tell him that he brings each kid one present for Christmas. But he's actually only gotten into Santa this year. I think in general Christmas is an exciting holiday for children, and having magical things to believe in is special when they are young. Even when I knew Santa wasn't real, we still put out cookies and milk and tried to stay up as late as we could to "catch" Santa.
    JDanesMommy

Answer by JDanesMommy at 12:23 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I agree with JDanesMommy. Santa in our house doesn't bring "tons" of presents or even all of the presents like he does in other homes. He brings 1 or 2. I like that they have the choice of believing in something magical too, it makes the holiday even MORE fun. But then I don't have any problems with the parents who don't either. It's their kids.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:29 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• My kids never got into the whole Santa thing. So they weren't surprised when I told them. My oldest is a very smart child, and said he knew it just didn't make sense that a man could go all over the world with that many toys. Kinda made me laugh. To each their own. I don't care what other people do with or say to their children unless its violent.
    Katlyne120806

Answer by Katlyne120806 at 1:34 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Selfish much Gailll? You need all the credit for the gifts?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:39 AM on Dec. 22, 2009