Is it okay that there are dark grey spots in my cooked bone in ham?

I cooked it on 325 for 7 1/2 hrs. So I'm pretty sure it was done but it has dark grey areas and I wasn't sure if that was normal. Also, it's falling apart like roast beef; I assume because it was cooked so long and is just tender but I thought I'd throw that in there too. Thanks for your help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:56 PM on Dec. 21, 2009 in Food & Drink

• ham is actually cooked when you buy it. It is heat and serve. the brown spots are just little bits of blood that have seeped out of the bone marrow usually. If it bothers you just remove them. But It is fine to eat.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 12:32 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• It happens when you overcook it. Like chefjen said, they're already cooked, they just need to be heated - unless you manage to find the rare uncooked ham (which you usually have to ask for as they're not popular). That long at that temp was too much, it'll taste & be fine, just not look the prettiest. My MIL does it all the time, they'll make a whole ham for the 2 of them, put the leftovers away and a couple days later heat up some leftover ham and have us over and it's always discolored like that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:13 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• It was raw, from a butcher's shop...but over cooking sounds likely still since it was falling apart lol I just never seen it that color before. Thanks ladies.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:30 AM on Dec. 22, 2009