Relationship between Grandma and Grandson?

Hello!

My mil seems to think my son has a problem with her, I think she is taking it a bit personal, my son is 16 months old and socked her in the eye today. Or maybe there is? I'm not really sure what's wrong with him but the last few times he seems to be frustrated with grandma. I'm probably going to watch him the next time he interacts with her to see what happens.

What do you think is going on?

What can I do? Grandma do?

Suggestions, Advice, any tips would help please?

Thank you!

MinnieMouse8

Asked by MinnieMouse8 at 11:57 PM on Dec. 21, 2009 in Relationships

• At that age, hitting isn't always meant to harm. Maybe she's being a bit overbearing and he's fustrated ?? I'd say she just as to be patient.
    JDanesMommy

Answer by JDanesMommy at 12:29 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• grandma needs to be kid friendly
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 12:02 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I think it is normal for a 16 month old to hit. That in itself is not a sign of problems.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 12:02 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I don't think it is normal to hit. My grandson is that age and he has never hit. Hitting is a learned behavior.

Many toddlers are frustrated because they can't communicate as well as they can think. Sign language has helped my grandson. He still gets frustrated when he is tired.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:13 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• It's normal for kids that age to still hit. They are still learning cause & effect (i.e. hitting causes owies) and right from wrong (we don't hit people to show our anger/frustration). They are also still learning to control their motor skills, and that makes it difficult since they are so wiggly & wanting to get into everything at that age.
    I would watch to see what's going on, like you said. Maybe she is trying to hold him when he wants down, or she doesn't understand the words he is able to say right now. That will probably help you get to the root of the issue.
    Good luck :)
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 2:40 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Cripes tell grandma to lighen the hell up - he's a little kid. Get over it.
    sgtdemanda

Answer by sgtdemanda at 6:50 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• He is just baby putch. My fil was like that a lot with my son. But he learned that boys will be boys and especially little toddler boys are just a little clumsy or awkward. Just tell your son he can not hit and to be careful near the old timers.
    bella69147

Answer by bella69147 at 9:10 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Maybe your mother did something, said something to anger your child. Whether it was the way she punished him, or maybe he feels uncomfortable with the way she comforted him. Regardless if her intentions were wrong or not, maybe your son felt it to be wrong. There are many reasons why your son feels negatively towards your mother. Children often feel uncomfortable around certain people for no apparent reason to us. However, they very much feel there is a reason for it and thus they react in a way to keep that person at bay.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:33 PM on Dec. 22, 2009