what is the best way to transition my son to his new bedroom?

My son is 19 months and will soon be getting his own bedroom for the first time. How do I make the transition easy for him? He is used to sleeping in his bed sometimes and sometimes in our bed.

justluvinmyson

Asked by justluvinmyson at 12:00 AM on Dec. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• the best way is to always be consistent. like the PP said, make it fun and exciting. does he already play in his soon to be new room? if not, bring him in there throughout the day and let him play so he is comfortable or at least used to the room.
    JDanesMommy

Answer by JDanesMommy at 12:35 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• make it fun, make it a big deal. buy him really cool sheets that he can help pick out. he might surprise you and stay in his room all night, or he might try to come back to your room. i would put a baby gate in his doorway so that he's not roaming the house while you guys are in bed. It might take some time, but he'll get used to it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:18 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• When we moved my daughter into a new room, we made sure she had some books to read and stuffed animals to play with. She helped pick out the sheets and blanket for her new bed. We also spent a lot of time in there during the day doing "fun" stuff to help her understand that her room was a good place to be. For fire safety reasons, it's important to shut bedroom doors at night. We turned the knob on her door around so she couldn't lock herself in.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 1:22 PM on Dec. 22, 2009