My husband asked if I wanted cream for my stretch marks!

Okay, I'm 34wks pregnant and pretty hormonal and emotional so maybe this isn't a big deal. BUT I couldn't believe it! I was sitting next to him on the couch and my shirt was showing my stomach a bit and he put his hand on my stretch marks and was like, "So do you want some cream to take care of those after Emma's born?" I was instantly offended and pissed and was like, "I don't know honey, do you want to get some for yours??" .....As soon as it came out of my mouth I knew it was a bitchy thing to say because in reality he was not trying to be a douche bag, but you know how things just come out of your mouth when a baby's in your tummy.

Do you think I should have gotten mad? Or was it totally nothing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Dec. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• he meant well, but honestly i would have gotten pissed too. Its like a guy buying you exercise equipment for your birthday. even though you may have mentioned that you wanted the equipment, it doesnt change the fact that 96% of women would get offended that they actually bought it lol

dont feel so bad. when I was pregnant I snapped on my DH for much smaller things then that. Its just your hormones. just explain that to him. he will totally understand!
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 12:13 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I think it depends on how he meant it. Did he say it because he doesn't like the stretch marks or was he trying to be sweet because they bother you?
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 12:05 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I'm assuming he was trying to be nice but I have NEVER brought them up to him or anyone else.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:06 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• My husband knows how important my stretch marks are to me and how faithful I've been to put cream on. I'm not saying you're not taking care of yourself, I'm just saying every relationship is different. If he was being sweet about it and knew it was a concern of yours I wouldn't be mad. Have you worried aloud about getting them? have you mentioned getting "expensive" creams or hoping/wishing you don't or wouldn't have gotten any?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:17 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• OP here- I have never told him I didn't want any or complained about getting them and I haven't been religious about applying any lotion; I think it was just a hormonal moment but it really caught me off guard because it was out of nowhere.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:23 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• My husband nagged and nagged me to use lotions and stuff, even before I got stretch marks. They bother him. I really dont like the way lotion feels on my skin so it was hard for me to do it. One day also when I was very far along he looked at me naked and was totally disgusted, I was so hurt. I know he was disappointed and concerned at the same time, he doesnt really have the ability to be sensitive sometimes and well... Your husband's comment seems to be very well meaning, wanting to assure you that he was willing to help you get rid of them. But, he may have some "selfish" concerns (if you know what I mean). It's a natural guy thing, he will get over it when he realizes what you put yourself through to bring into this world yours(and his) beautiful child. I would have been pissed too, dont feel bad. I liked your comeback. Talk about it later with him seriously and calmly.
    kittymontclaire

Answer by kittymontclaire at 12:25 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• No you weren't the one being bitchy he WAS being a douche bag even if he didn't mean to be! If you said "Honey would you like me to get you a penis enlarging pump to take care of your little problem?" how would he like THAT comment? It was rude, thoughtless and hurtful. He should apologize.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:41 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Oh hell's no! Have him read "a girlfriend's guide to pregnancy." He is not allowed to make any reference to your body that has a slight implication of negativity. You are on a hormonal high and these comments will break your day!
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 1:37 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Any preggo woman wouldve been hurt by that (atleast i would) dont feel bad for getting upset. Im sure he didnt say it to hurt you but you have to remember, guys dont think before they blurt crap out like that!! I would let him know that it hurt you and that u know he didnt mean to. but you should talk it over with him to get it off your chest...
    bri_0110

Answer by bri_0110 at 7:53 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Men are stupid. lol. They have NO idea what we're going through and what our bodies are doing. I've been using the lotion for stretch marks since I was 11 weeks and I don't have one on my stomach at ALL. I always put the lotion on everyday after the shower. Sometimes he sees my big preggo belly and makes comments about how "big" the baby is getting, and sometimes its hurtful that he HAS to comment on how HUGE I am, but I know in my heart that he's not trying to say I'm this fat obese person, he's just amazed at how my body has changed. I try to keep up with myself and not dress frumpy to keep my own self esteem high and feel pretty. I know all this will be well worth it once my little girl in in my arms. When my husband says something stupid and thoughtless, I just tell him right then and there that thats hurtful and usually he goes, well I didnt mean it like that I meant .....and he usually rethinks it.
    BLoNdIe121679

Answer by BLoNdIe121679 at 11:55 AM on Dec. 23, 2009