What size diapers do babies use the most?

I want to buy diapers before my baby is born so that I have an abundance. So I was wondering which sizes are used the most?

happy2bamommy86

Asked by happy2bamommy86 at 12:05 AM on Dec. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• You never know, babies grow at different rates. My 16 mo grandson only weighs around 18 pounds. There are 5 month olds that weigh 18 pounds.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:07 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• i would buy 2 boxes of each size 1 and 2. my son was 9lbs 6oz and 22"long so he never fit into newborn diapers, so that you'll have to feel out when your baby arrives.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• The size they will b e in the longest is 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My kids were big babies and never were in Newborn or size 1 diapers. They were size 2 for a couple months and then into size 3 and stayed that way until they potty trained at age 3....LOL.

That is why I prefer to buy size 3 diapers for peoples baby showers, Everyone buys them newborn and they won't be in them long AT ALL no matter how big they are at birth.
    VintageWife

Answer by VintageWife at 1:28 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Unless you know you're going to have a really little baby, newborn diapers are a waste of money. I would just start with a few packs each of size 1and 2. My DD weighed 9 lbs. 11oz. and never wore a newborn diaper.
    sadiesmom87

Answer by sadiesmom87 at 1:57 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• You never really know. My oldest wore the size 1-2 until she was almost a year old. Then she wore a 3 for awhile until her brother moved up to a size 4 and she went with him even though they were huge on her (she was almost 2 then).
    My son was over 9lbs at birth and only wore the 1-2 size for the first few months and then was in a size 3. He never fit into newborn anything. He even came home from the hospital wearing 3-6 month pants he was so long. He was only in size 3 for about 3 or 4 months before moving into size 4 (at like 6 months old).
    My middle daughter was tiny compared to him and wore a size 3 until she was almost 2. Same with my youngest daughter.
    Personally, I would get one pack of size 1 (or the size 1-2 if they have them) and a couple packs of 2 and 3.
    We go to Costco so buy in bulk. A box of 1-2 lasted us the first month at least.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:13 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• My DD is little but she pees a lot so she has been in 4s for a long time and isn't going to outgrow them ever most likely. She worn newborn diapers for 3 months size 1 for 4 months, size 2 for 2 months, 3 for 3 months and now fours for 6 months
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:19 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Also don't buy ahead of time you don't know how the baby will react to them my dd can't wear huggies they irritate her, and she cant wear baby dry they dont absorb enough you need to see what your baby is like.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:20 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• idk my son keeps outgrowing sizes. hes 8 months and wears a size 5 diaper. hes 25lbs and 31inches long! im hopin he will slow down, diapers only go up to a size 6 :/ lol hes not that chubby
    sweet.lil.mama

Answer by sweet.lil.mama at 8:04 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I would say 3 also. Since you don't know if your baby is going to go through the smaller sizes really fast or not, I would think most babies slow down for a while at least by the time they are in 3s. Like others said you never know about newborn size, my son was 7 1/2 lbs and peed out of every newborn diaper he wore, my daughter was 8 lbs and needed newborn diapers for about 6 weeks. She is 2 now and just went into a size 4.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 8:29 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• My youngest son is almost 4 months old and he's been in size three for about a month now. hes no where near growing out of them. I'd say threes or fours!
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 8:35 AM on Dec. 22, 2009