Would you consider this statement racist?

The African-American community is the most vulnerable, the most in need, and the most hit hard by the recession.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:07 AM on Dec. 22, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't see how its racist, I also don't see how its true.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:10 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Yes I would consider that very racist and rude!!!
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 2:12 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Nope not at all, I think in many ways it is very true of some areas in the country.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:12 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• somewere in this country or any country someone is vulnerable, in need, and hit hard by the recession, no matter what race they are.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 2:16 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• yes, I find this racist. It is a stereotypical, judgmental, and racist comment.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:18 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• It depends honestly where and to whom was the comment being made? Any comment can appear racist if taken out of context.

I am not saying it is or isnt racist I am just curious what the circumstances were when the comment was made.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:24 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Well lets look at this factually, more than a million African American homeowners will lose their home in the next four years.

Facing South reported earlier this week on a new study that shows that blacks today are already experiencing a silent economic depression that, in terms of unemployment, equals or exceeds the Great Depression of 1929. And among young Black males aged 16-19, the unemployment rate is 32.8%.
    Nationally, disproportionate numbers of black men hold jobs in manufacturing or construction, and those positions have been among the first cut in this recession, especially in Southern states, the Charlotte Observer reports.
    A recent study conducted by the Economic Policy Institute points out that black workers make up a large share in the automotive industry, and these workers have been negatively affected by the auto industry crisis.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 2:25 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Well it seems to be backed by facts. Is it a little insensitive maybe. The unemployment rate for black men was 11.9 percent in November 2008, almost twice that of white men, and up 4 percentage points from a year earlier. So to come to the conclusion that the AA community was already vulnerable, and would be affected severely by the recession is not racist.

source: an article written by Desiree Evans from Facing South
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 2:31 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• The way it is worded sounds like something where more of an explanation is coming, more evidence to prove it, rather than a general statement or opinion, so no I don't think it's racist.

Now if it said, "Of course they were most affected by the recession: They're African Americans." THAT would be racist.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:53 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Racist? No. Insensitive? Yes. True? Unfortunately it is true for some areas.
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 3:39 AM on Dec. 22, 2009