how to I get him to stop biting? BF question

k well it's technically gumming- he's 4 months old almost. It hurts so bad I'm ready to quit and switch to FF its gotten worse recently but nothing works. i say NO and i take him off it doesn't work, i've even flicked his cheek, it made him stop that time- but it's not getting through to him. could he be teething? i know its kind of early. Idk what would you do?

Hali_Taylor

Asked by Hali_Taylor at 3:21 AM on Dec. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It is teething, the best thing to do is when your baby wants to gnaw, express your milk into a bottle and let the angel gum at that. Always try the intimate feeding first. I know it's a hassle but it's the best method if you ask me.
    sadchildlessme

Answer by sadchildlessme at 4:04 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• This is actually your first discipline issue. When he bites, immediately pull him off, look right into his eyes and say NO! very firmly. Then tell him that mommies are for hugs and kisses, not biting; let him get back to eating.

With all discipline issues, be consistent.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:41 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• It may not be teething. My second born loved to chew on me! I flicked his cheek and told him NO! Or you can try pulling him off like others suggested. Just be consistent. He is very young. He can still learn at this early of an age, it will just take a little more repitition then it does for an older child. My son I mentioned, did learn not to chew on me. Though I had to "remind" him once in a while. Around 1 year I finally got him to take a bottle. We went through dozens of nipples and sippy cups from his chewing!! Now I buy straws - much cheaper. :-)
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 5:57 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• feet flicking works sooo well my daughter was so scared by it she flipped out once after and never bit me again, I was told that trick by a lactation counselor the feet flick is great. Flick the bottom of the foot and say no it works great.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 6:38 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Whatever you choose...BE CONSISTENT. Take baby off EVERY TIME...hunger is the best teacher.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:21 PM on Dec. 22, 2009