• In the Spotlight:

Whats so wierd about trying to start a local clothing swap meet?

ZBJ

Asked by ZBJ at 3:43 AM on Dec. 22, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I don't find it odd, growing up, there was a few but because of my stature, I never could find clothes to fit me. I think the problem some people have these days is the whole, "Ew, I don't want my kids wearing second hand, germy clothes. That makes me look poor," mentality. As a teen, I traded clothes often as that I was able to find other bigger teens. It wasn't unusual for me to leave in jeans, boots, and a sweater only to come home in a great dress and sandals. Just keep pushing for the idea and make sure your trade in stuff is clean and stain free.
    sadchildlessme

Answer by sadchildlessme at 3:49 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• It is not weird at all. There are several in Chicago.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:39 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Who thinks it is weird I think it is a great idea it helps people that have financial issues, not weird but wonderful.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 6:25 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• It's not. I think it sounds like a lot of fun. Alot of those same people that say it's weird are the exact ones who need to be doing this or buying second hand, because with that mentality, you know they are on welfare anyway.... just sayin.... us folks with intelligence know all it takes is washing.... duh....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:47 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Who thinks it's weird? My friends Weight Watchers group does this twice a year.
    mommorgan

Answer by mommorgan at 8:18 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I think it sounds like fun. We do something similar in our homeschooling group when we get together for our weekly meetings. We bring something, anything, that we want to get rid of and put it on a table and whoever wants it takes it. We get rid of clothes, toys, books, kitchen items, etc. that we don't need anymore that someone else can use and since all of us are single income families, it really saves us money. I've gotten lots of books and gotten rid of a lot of clothes this way.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 8:19 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I'm with the fun group - maybe you should start small with like-minded people and have fun with it. I've always wanted to do this and we're quite well off, I don't need to, I just think it would be fun. Girls and clothes - what could be better!
    LisaLulu

Answer by LisaLulu at 8:35 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Who says it's weird? We do it when the seasons change with our homeschool group, we love it!
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 9:00 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I personally love the idea! I do all of my shopping at thrift stores, consignment shops, yard/garage sales, and the various sales/fairs that they have at churches and schools. If my daughter and I go into a regular store she heads right for the clearence rack. I am a single mother and I am trying to support me and my daughter one just my paycheck as well as going to school full time so of course I want to be able to give my daughter the best most expensive clothes but I just cant and she doesnt mind she thinks it's fun to go on shopping adventures to see what we can find. So I think its a fabolous idea and the people who turn their noses up at it well then it will be their loss! Good Luck!!!
    welkerzwife25

Answer by welkerzwife25 at 9:42 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I think resale and clothing swaps are great. Want to come closet shop in my closet?
    Anonymous