any ladies out there that were teenagers in 1963??

Hi there! I am trying to write a paper for school about the day kennedy was killed. I am looking for the feelings of the young generation at that time. So if you were a teenager when President Kennedy was assasinated i would apprecaite it if you would post your story. (where you were how you felt)
Thank you so much!

by the way---I wasn't sure where to post this but since it is about kennedy i figured the politics section would be ok :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:21 AM on Dec. 22, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes, I wAs. I was a senior in high school in Brooklyn, New York. The news came in about the shooting when I was in American History class and it was announced over the loudspeaker system. The principal was watching the news on his brand new television set that the students had won for him the previous summer in a radio contest. When the news came through about his death, I was in English class. I attended an all girls high school and we were all crying. The teacher quietly talked to us about our responsibility as seniors to show good example to the younger students. By the time class was dismissed, we were calmed down and able to help the younger students to calm down as well. Dismissal that day was not the raucous cacophony of noise as it usually was. It was eerily quiet, for having 2,000 girls in the locker rooms. No one spoke above a whisper. We were all just in a hurry to get on the subway and get home. (cont'd)
    tngrandma

Answer by tngrandma at 6:40 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Cont'd) I went home on the subway and once again it was quiet. I don't ever remember hearing the silence that I heard that day (or didn't hear). It was not a long trip home, only about half an hour, but it seemed to take forever. I turned on the TV as soon as I got home and there was Walter Cronkite, without his jacket.

I had just started a diary the month before, only posted in it like once or twice, but wrote in it constantly all weekend long. Still have it to this day. It's buried in one of my memento boxes. Also have a TV guide insert about the news coverage as well.

I think the most poignant memory I have is of the local Macy's store. They had just decorated their window on Flatbush Avenue for Christmas that week (it was the last full week before Christmas) and immediately upon the news they cleared out the window and put up a memorial to Kennedy.

(Cont'd)
    tngrandma

Answer by tngrandma at 6:46 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Personally, I was devastated. This was the first president I had seen through from the campaign, convention, election, and inauguration. I remember Eisenhower and I was alive for Truman, but Kennedy was a man from the 20th century, the first president born in the 1900s. He was young, with a beautiful wife and two gorgeous children. They were hope for me, now devastated. I had visited the White House during Kennedy's life there, on my high school trip to Washington. With the news coverage of the funeral and cortege, I remembered walking on those very same blocks on my weekend there. It made a difference in my life. After high school and working a couple of years, I moved to Washington, D.C., worked for the government for a couple of years, before moving on.

(Cont'd)
    tngrandma

Answer by tngrandma at 6:52 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Cont'd) I still wonder how things would have turned out had he lived. I know as a history major later in life that he had good ideas, but had difficulty getting things through Congress. Johnson had the know-how to get it done, and did, but he did not have the charisma that Kennedy had. But Johnson and Vietnam, followed by Nixon, after such a idol was slain, was just such a disillusionment. In my freshman year when he was elected, we had such high hopes, and they were dashed in our senior year. It was as if we were to be a distinct generation. And I guess we were.
    tngrandma

Answer by tngrandma at 6:56 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I was just a little, seven-year-old kid. I just remember all the grown ups screaming and calling each other and everybody crying and saying, "The President's dead, Oh dear God, he's dead!", over and over. It was on all three channels of TV and cartoons were cancelled. I remember there was no school the next day, but I don't remember if it was because of a weekend or if they just didn't have school because of the assassination.

pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 8:19 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• My Mom was 18, She said there was a loss of innocence. She was scared...She also said alot of people had a helpless feeling....

Because of this she didn't want Bobby to run, she said she didn't think the country could take it again.....and of course...

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:22 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I was a sophomore in College on Nov 22,1963. I was shocked and cried and most of my friends were too. Classes were cancelled and we all got together in the Dorm lounge to watch TV and talk about it. I felt that the world was going nuts and I was afraid that we.as a country , would never be the same. And it has never been the same. I am 99% sure there was a conspiracy. When I saw Jack Ruby shoot Oswald on that Sunday...on TV.... in the police station garage, I figured he had been paid to shoot Oswald to keep the whole thing quiet. I still think so.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 11:32 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Thanks so much ladies!!
    Anonymous