Money savers??

I was just thinking... how could we save money on the things we use regularly? Is there anything you make on your own, or cut down on without really making a huge impact on daily life? Maybe making your own wipes, or baby food, or even to save on bills? Recipes? Prices on what you buy so you can save (usually thats the case, spend some to save more).? Anything that really helps you out? Maybe even how you save on your phone bills or anything really? I'm sure I'm not the only one who needs to save some extra money this holiday season!! =]
Happy Holidays!!!

mommykayti

Asked by mommykayti at 6:49 AM on Dec. 22, 2009 in Money & Work

• Personally, we don't pay for the internet seperately. SOs cell phone has internet on it, and it came with cords that we hook up to the computer and boom, internet. Bad thing is we only get it when he's home, but that's ok. It saves us money!

We grocery shop about 2-3 times a week. We go to multiple stores to compare and get the best deals. Sometimes we buy off-brand, we've learned that some taste the same, sometimes better, and sometimes even better for you!

We potty trained early so less money on diapers. We use our local grocery store brand diapers, which don't really leak, and they are WAY cheaper! We also use store brand wipes, as they aren't much different, yet cheaper.

We clip coupons EVERY Sunday. 20-50 cents here and there really does go a long way!

Since we don't have a washer and dryer, we go to the laundry mat and use the BIG machines, they fit more and cost less.

Happy Savings! =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 6:54 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• The only thing I can think of is the grocery shopping. I always felt it was better to do it at say Aldi's or some type of store like that. If you are really having troubles, you can buy a large amount of ground beef and stock up on canned foods, such as cream of soups, and noodles. This will make a lot of different varieties of foods throughout the week. Buy bread, peanut butter, milk, eggs, butter, etc. Clipping coupons is great and all, but you can go to the dollar store and buy all the essentials that you might needs such as shampoo, soap, toothpaste, etc. Even with clipping coupons, chances are you are spending more than a 1.00 for those types of items. Remember, you are spending unnecessary gas to get around to the different places to shop. Try to limit those trips by following the above.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:43 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• That's a good idea with the dollar store! But with the gas, the stores I go to (Marc's, Giant Eagle, and Aldi's) are all within a short distance from my house. And the first two are actually on the same block. Thanks for your response though! Dollar General here I come!! =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 7:47 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I make my own laundry detergent & have spent $10.00 since April saving me about$160.00. I clip coupons, buy in bulk when I get a sale. Also plan my trips to say gas.
    mommorgan

Answer by mommorgan at 8:16 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Make at least some of your own cleaning products. This has the added bonus of bringing fewer toxins into your home

This is what we use for most cleaning (initially used as part of my daughter's 6th grade science fair project). It is cheap (my favorite) and non toxic.
    ¼ cup white vinegar
    ¾ cup warm tap water
    1 tablespoon baking soda
    10 drops of tea tree oil (antibacterial, antifungal, etc.)
    2 drops oil of lavender essential oil (antiseptic and smells nice)

Stop buying paper towels and napkins. Cloth napkins are more fun! Pick up cheap cotton towels at your favorite second hand shop. Save money and trees!!

Past the age of 2, the only beverage that humans need is water. Stop buying juice and sodas; buy milks only for cooking and cereal. You can liven up water with slices of fruits and vegetables; make ice cubes with blueberry eyeballs for the kids.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 9:45 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Replace meats with beans, lentils, tofu, seitan, etc. You can save even more money by using dried beans and lentils and making your own seitan.

Cook from scratch! Home cooked foods taste so much better than the nasty boxed stuff, and you will feel better because you are eating healthier foods.!!

Replace simple grains (white flour, white rice, white pasta, etc.) with whole grains (brown rice, whole wheat pasta, whole grain breads, etc.). While whole grains may cost more, they have more nutrition and are more filling, so they really are the better value.

Frozen fruits and vegetables have a longer shelf life than fresh and retain their nutrition longer; they are often a better, less expensive option than fresh.

cont

• Once or twice a week have breakfast for dinner. Popular options at my house are: yogurt parfaits with frozen berries and whole grain cereal; veggies omelettes with a bit of cheese and whole grain toast; whole grain pancakes with fruit.

Instead of baking a whole batch of cookies, make and freeze cookie dough balls. No one will be tempted to sneak a cookie(you know who you are) and when you do have cookies they will be fresh baked.

Only go to the grocery store every 8 days. Before you shop, plan all of your meals and snacks for the next 8 days. Write your list, based on what you need to complete your meal plan. Pull any necessary coupons, eat before you go (never go to the grocery store hungry). Most important, buy only what is on your list. The specials at the store are not to save you money, they are to get you to buy items that you don't need. If you won't use it in 3 week, don't buy it!

cont

• I have a ton of recipes that are tasty, healthy, family and budget friendly; send me a message offlist if you would like some!

• I think it's all in what you're willing to sacrifice.

When we were getting out of debt, my husband got a second job, took the bus to work as we had one car and 3 jobs between the two of us. We had no cable, no internet, no landline, a $150/month grocery budget for 3 people. We keep our thermostat set on 60 in the winter and the air conditioner on 76 in the summer (we live in Pittsburgh).

We did not go out to eat, buy clothes, or go to movies. We spent no money on extra things. We bought frozen veggies on sale, cut coupons, made meal plans and shopped sale ads. I stopped buy prepackaged foods and started making my own breads, waffles, granola, pancakes, breakfast sandwiches etc.

We used peroxide and water as a daily shower cleaner.
    We have NO CREDIT CARDS.
    Shut off lights when we're not in the room.
    We use less than the recommended amount of laundry detergent.
    We don't wash clothes in HOT water.

WE FOLLOWED DAV
    Melissa823

Answer by Melissa823 at 1:15 AM on Dec. 27, 2009

• By doing all of this, we were able to pay off $34,000 in 2 years. Our income started at only $39,000 and went up TREMENDOUSLY in the process. YOU CAN DO IT!
    Melissa823

Answer by Melissa823 at 1:17 AM on Dec. 27, 2009