I don't want him to get hurt!!! Help! Please?

Occasionally I find myself falling asleep during the day. I can not sleep at night anymore, and I'm not sure why. It's been almost three weeks and I'm getting scared. Once or twice I went almost 3 days with NO sleep. A few times I've found myself falling asleep while my three year old is watching cartoons. Luckily it was only for a few minutes, but I don't want him to get hurt, or get into something he's not supposed to if I end up falling into a deep sleep for maybe hours. Does anyone have any advice for me to sleep at night like a normal person again? I'm not looking for bashing, just help. I'm not sure of the reason as to why I'm not sleeping. I can lay there the whole night and not even drift. Please give me suggestions. I feel like a horrible mother and that I'm not living up to SAHM expectations. Please help!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:43 AM on Dec. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• Go to the doctor and see what advice they give you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:57 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• FIrst of all, there are no SAHM "expectations" except those you put on yourself. So don't stress, nobody is judging you! Is there a way for you to create a "safe room" for your little one to play just in case you do nod off?

Are you not sleeping at ALL? I would see a doctor if that's the case...that is not normal. Do you lay in bed and think? What if anything is keeping you awake? Do you nap during the day when your little one naps? Do you take your little one for walks and get fresh air to help tire you both out? Are you eating/drinking enough? Do you drink caffeinated drinks?

I have chronic insomnia so I feel your pain. Maybe with some discussion we can figure out what the underlying reason is (providing it's not medical because I'm no doctor!) and get you sorted out. I am more than willing to try and help :)
    sgtdemanda

Answer by sgtdemanda at 7:59 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• You need to call your dr asap
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:01 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Try to go to sleep and wake up at the same time every day. Even on the weekends. Tylenol PM helps me when I need it and I do not feel funky the next morning. Stay away from caffeine. Make sure your bedroom is dark and quiet. NO tv in the bedroom.
    crazycatlady66

Answer by crazycatlady66 at 8:03 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• No, I am not sleeping AT ALL at night. It's only at night. I don't have a problem taking a snooze during the day. I don't think. I just lay. And I look around the room. That's it. Nothing keeps me awake. I just can't seem to be tired enough to sleep at night. I fall asleep in the middle of the day. Even if I don't fall asleep all day and I'm very tired by the time both kids fall asleep, I'm still awake and suddenly not tired anymore! My 3 y/o doesn't nap anymore. He hasn't for almost a year. I have a newborn and he sleeps very well at night. a full 12 hours almost every night. I've never not heard him wake up, and he sleeps in the same room. It's WAY too cold for walks here, I would guess the high yesterday was about 20. I'm not eating or drinking enough, I'm sure. I never have though, so for me I see it as normal. No caffeine here, just juicy juice, water, and the occasional glass of milk.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:11 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Do not drink caffeinated drinks after  6 at night.  Have you tried over the counter sleep aids. If those are not working, go to the doctor for this problem.

Answer by louise2 at 8:21 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Stop sleeping in the day time. That might be your problem.

Answer by louise2 at 8:23 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• You need to call your doctor and get checked out!! I hope you feel better and start resting better soon!!
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 8:28 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• louise2:
    in my post at :11 i said
    "Even if I don't fall asleep all day and I'm very tired by the time both kids fall asleep, I'm still awake and suddenly not tired anymore"
    That's not the problem. I don't drink caffeine at all. I have not tried over the counter sleep aids though. I don't like using meds unless I absolutely HAVE to.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:33 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Call your doctor it could be a physical or mental condition but either way they can help you get back on track.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:38 AM on Dec. 22, 2009