C-Section Questions

Couple questions.

Is a C-Section: Better for Baby but Bad for Mommy or the other way around?

I am not interested in that spinal injection and really don't want to do a natural birth as I have very small hips and am afraid of the pain.

Should I elect for a C-Section? I really dont want to do anyhting that causes uneeded stress to the baby. I have heard very mixed reviews in my family and from 2 Ob's.

Just wanted some opinions.

Thanks in advance.

Jenn

DisneyBride13

Asked by DisneyBride13 at 8:25 AM on Dec. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• & oh you're gonna get alot w/ that ? 1st of all they will do an epidural injection into your spine with a c sect anyway (I didn't feel anything). If you are gonna do a c sect find a dr that has done a lot & supports YOUR decision to elect a c. I'll admit that I felt the same way as you & elected to do a c, that's right I'm a big fat baby that didn't wanna push, my choice. I don't regret my decision AT ALL!!!! I was in labor, dialated to 4 & swore I was gonna die!!!! I have never felt pain like that in my life & I've hurt myself pretty bad before. I couldn't lay flat on my back, much more comfy to labor on hands & knees. They gave me staydol which has got to be code for placebo, didn't do anything for my pain. During the c I was relaxed, calm, talking & joking w/ dr & hubby & got to enjoy my dd being brought into the world. I don't think my birth experience would've been the same had I pushed. I was @ hospital (cont)
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:33 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• for 2 days & was up doing things @ home on the 3rd. I'm 7 mo post op, no problems, my scar doesn't hurt & is fading nicely, no numbness, no after effects. They'll give you pain pills for after to help deal w/ the pain, most likely percocet (ask for it vs some of the others bc its a schedule 2, class b instead of a schedule 3 class c narcotic, look it up on webmd, less effects for baby). I did take longer to feel like myself vs some of my friends who had a vag birth. Ultimately its up to you & what you want. Try to look past the bashing you'll probably get w/ this ? & seek out the valuable info. Research each type of birth & what to expect after. Good luck & enjoy your pregnancy, your little one will be here before you know!!1
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:37 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Honestly if peple want to bash me so be it. I am a first timer who is just looking for advice. I have answered and supported many questions on here that some considered stupid, silly, or unworthy of being posted. If people don't like looking at all types of questions then why do they review the questions anyway?

But thanks for your help and advice. I was just wondering if planned C-Sections are considered "harmful" to a baby. I have heard yes and no. If it helps, my Gyno has always told me I may have trouble with a vaginal delivery due to my hips ... not sure what that means but its been something I have heard for many years now.

Thanks again Nyx!

And for the "bashers" at least have the courtesy to not post as Anon...I would hate to accidentally friend request you down the road or heaven forbid answer any of your questions in the future.

DisneyBride13

Answer by DisneyBride13 at 8:43 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Whether a planned c is "harmful" to the baby really depends on who you talk to. I decided it was less stress on my child to be pulled from an incision w/ two hands that are capable of adjusting pressure etc than sucked from my vagina w/ a vaccum!! Glad I could help!!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:50 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• pp how'd you get a nonmedical needed csection pushed through? For repeat deliveries when a first delivery was difficult ob's will do elective sections but if it's for a first time baby having a nonmedically needed section is hard to push through.

I had an epidural for my three sections and in my first delivery that ended up my first section. It hurt during the tube being put in and injection of meds as it hit me then no pain from it or elsewhere. All three times the epidural actually worked well just making me numb all over and relaxed.

Even with planning a section in advance, no matter the reasons, baby can still start up labor before then. Practice your breathing to help yourself. Every twenty seconds to minute do a practice labor do choo choo breaths several times and then breathe in long and breathe out longer and even slower.

Usually being afraid of abdominal pain as a way to get out of labor isn't enough.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 8:51 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Thanks lfl for your feedback!

You too Nyx

I wonder if my hip issue is a good reason for a planned c-section? Seriously, my gyno has been saying it for years now.

Anyhoo...I will check with my new Ob tomorrow when I see them.

What would validate a planned c-section to a Dr/Ins Company anyway?

Thanks Guys!

Sorry about the bashers rant lol...pregnancy hormones at work again! lol
    DisneyBride13

Answer by DisneyBride13 at 8:55 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• hi op, i'm lfl. with my labor and 3 sections for three babies in all. Just be prepared for the unexpected of labor and baby's weight. Lots of babies in ultrasounds and from the way moms carry and other testings have been thought to be a bigger or smaller size and came out the opposite!!! I was over two weeks past my due date for my first baby and labored tough and then sectioned. I had an infection in my uterus from being so overdue plus the stress of labor and surgery. I was on ivs for 10 days in the hospital after my surgery. For my next two deliveries my obs didn't want to chance me getting so sick like that again so sections for those next two were done.

A wise la leche leader told me while I was pregnant and anxious about delivery (and la leche league more generally supports non surgical births for babies to feed more easily sooner) she told me most important healthy mommy healthy baby no matter how baby's born.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 9:00 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I called around to obs until I found one that was willing to do a c for no other reason then I wanted one. She did ask me again before she cut me open if I wanted to labor & push. You don't have to validate it to the insurance co, they already cover elective c sections, its part of a woman's right to choose her medical care. I also live in south florida so the drs here are more lax than in small towns or bible belt states.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 9:06 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Thanks lfl. I get what you are saying.

Good advice! So even if I can my Ob will perform and elective C-section, I will make sure to be prepared for delivery regardless.

Pre-pregnancy, I was really selfish...wanted a c-section to make it "easier" for me. But now, with this life inside of me, I am very worried about every choice I make. I have had some people tell me that a c-section is harder on mommy but is less stressful for baby...but I have also heard what you said...healthy mommy healthy baby.

So many choices lol

DisneyBride13

Answer by DisneyBride13 at 9:06 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I'm a short small young woman and got a c-section with my first child due to the dr said i was small and probably couldn't deliver normally by pushing. i was fine with it. i was put to sleep for my c-section and had my daughter. no problems. there was no labor,contractions,water breaking or dilating but some go through some of that. Now i am pregnant with baby number 2 and i will be having another c-section and i plan to get my tubes tied too. I see nothing wrong with whatever you want to do and feel comfortable with. good luck!
    alyssa1

Answer by alyssa1 at 9:06 AM on Dec. 22, 2009