Question about honey

Okay so I know that you shouldn't give honey to a baby 2 years and younger but what about honey in cereal like honey nut cheerios or gram crackers? Is it okay to give those to a one year old?

autumn_beauty

Asked by autumn_beauty at 8:35 AM on Dec. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• just talked to a dr friend of mine and he says that things they sell in the grocery store with honey in them (ie honey nut cheerios, honey grahams, etc) have been pressure cooked, which kills the spores.

Answer by missanc at 8:54 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Hmm, good ? hadn't thought bout that. We gave my nephew, now 7, honey nut cheerios before he was 2 & he turned out fine, well he's a little whiney but I think that has more to do w/ the parenting then what he ate :) My dd's 7mo & she LOVES the Earth's Best Honey Gram Sticks, haven't seen any diff w/ her, have a ped appt this afternoon, will ask & let you know.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:40 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I gave them to y daughter, but mixed it with mulit-grain cheerios also. Kind of a treat with her breakfast
    Theone3608

Answer by Theone3608 at 8:46 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I steered away from all honey. I know the bacteria they are worried about is clostridium botulinum, but don't remember from my microbiology days what the heat tolerance is - may be okay if in something that is cooked? Good question for the pediatrician.

Answer by missanc at 8:48 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Thats what I though but wanted to be sure. Thanks everyone.
    autumn_beauty

Answer by autumn_beauty at 9:11 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• You should not give wheat to a child under age one; wheat is an allergy trigger food.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:40 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Asked my ped about this today, raw honey is a no no because of the fungi spores, any type of cooked honey is okay!!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 1:13 PM on Dec. 22, 2009