Stinky Gassy 6 week old...

My son is 6 weeks old and has very smelly gas. The gas definitely seems to be bothering him but no more so than my daughter's gas did at this age. However, her gas never smelled bad. My sons smells awful. He is primarily breastfed but does get the occasional bottle. I switched him from Similac Advance over to Similac Soy, thinking it might be a lactose thing but after a week, his gas still smells. Could it be something I'm eating that is causing this? Thanks.

ANGIE409

Asked by ANGIE409 at 9:05 AM on Dec. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son was the same way from birth. He had terrible gas. We knew he might be lactose intolerant b/c DH and our older son are. Once I cut out daiy from my diet we had a lot happier less smelly baby boy. His dr said that the lactose in my bm might be making him have tummy trouble since he also was very constipated. If you are nursing try cutting dairy out of your diet. I still can't have dairy and my son will be 5 months on X-mas.
    jombmomi

Answer by jombmomi at 3:11 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Could be the formula, his digestive system is still working all the kinks out, he may not be able to process the protein. Stop the formula for a couple of days & see if this helps. If not its something you're eating. Stay away from high gas foods, beans etc, you may also have to elimnate dairy from your diet.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 9:18 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• It could be the formula, it could be colic. Try Hylands colic remedy or an ounce of chamomile tea every day.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:38 AM on Dec. 22, 2009