Is there a difference between stealing and burglary?

Is it okay to steal when you're poor or starving? Is stealing somehow not as bad as robbing by gunpoint or selling yourself for sex?

A priest in Britain is under fire Monday for advising his congregation to shoplift in tough economic times, the Daily Mail reports.

link below...

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 9:45 AM on Dec. 22, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I believe there is a difference, as ObbieDobbie explained, but I do believe both are wrong. Before I stole to feed my family, I would ask. If anyone stopped me on the street and told me they needed food to feed themselves/family and didn't want to steal it, I would buy them something to eat. I worked in a grocery store once and a man approached my manager, told him that he couldn't afford a meal and didn't want to have to steal something any more than he wanted to dig in the trash. My manager sent him away with heaps of food from the deli. I have often offered a meal, or given money to someone who's asked. I know, I know, stupid probably, but I figure if they are lying and I'm genuinely trying to help it's their sin, not mine. I honestly think some people are too proud to ask and resort to stealing instead.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 5:44 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:46 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Stealing is taking something from someone and burglary usually involves breaking in and taking it. Regardless of any situation, both is wrong. Is on more wrong then the other, yes. However, BOTH are wrong and there is no excuse for either of them.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 10:15 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• both are wrong
    necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 10:26 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• To me both are the same, you taking something that doesn't belong to you. And that priest or whatever should know better to even suggest such a thing to his congregation, considering biblically the church is supposed to help those in need.
    Jewelzgirl

Answer by Jewelzgirl at 11:14 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Having had a Glock 40 pressed to my forehead, held at gun point for several hours, and anything of value stripped from my home (fortunately it was not much...) I can never agree with someone who equates them to the same thing. That is asinine... a starving person seeking food may steal to fill their stomachs, and it may be legally wrong, but i do not believe it "morally" wrong... just as the woman who was arrested for "looting" in the aftermath of katrina, for "stealing" bottled water and infant formula for her 6 month old daughter.

do i agree with theft? NO. two things in life i can not tolerate are a thief, and a liar- but there ARE times when need obviates moral responsibility. x-mas gifts are not a need...
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:34 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• The priest would be singing a different tune if his collection plate disappeared. (NOT just the money, but the plate too.)

Anonymous

• "The priest would be singing a different tune if his collection plate disappeared. (NOT just the money, but the plate too.)"

LOL. Good point. I think both are "wrong."

But my personal opinion is that burglary is worse, because it is terrifying. ObbyDobbie's experience is proof. I cannot imagine that. Our house was burglarized 4 times growing up. The first time, I was in third grade and we walked in on the burglars after school. They were in my mom's bedroom with huge guns. They kicked my dog : (

I still have issues feeling safe in my house.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 1:12 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• No. Both are wrong.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 3:34 PM on Dec. 22, 2009