How old were your kids when you left them home alone........

Just wondering. Know it has a lot to do w/ maturity, but I was wondering what age you left your kids home alone for the first time, for a few hours?

HappyEndings

Asked by HappyEndings at 9:57 AM on Dec. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• Well, I've treated each child of my differently about this situation, b/c each child's temperament/personality was/is different. My oldest was 11 years old when I felt it was safe to leave him alone for a few hours. My middle one just now turned 13 this past summer and I am just now allowing him to do it. My youngest is only 5. So, we shall see about him with he getting older.
    Desirae17

Answer by Desirae17 at 10:23 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I was 10 watching my 7 year old sister when I was a kid. my child is only 3, so it depends on the maturity of your child, or if you want to follow the laws of your state.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• (this pertains to the kids I was watching for the last year and a half as a nanny) I let the 8 year old stay home while I ran to drop off his older sister at a friend's house once. I would never leave the 9 or 11 year olds alone thought because they both have mental issues and can be very unpredictable. The 5 and 4 year olds are too young, as is my daughter, they would get into stuff. I really think it depends on maturity and how long you are going to be gone for. I trusted the 8 year old for 20 minutes, but if I was going to be gone more than an hour he would have had to come with the rest of us. Also, it was a special 'treat' for him to get to stay home alone, not something we do regularly.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 11:29 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• At 10 for about 30 minutes to run to the store or bank. At 12 for a little longer (maybe a few hours), now that he is 13, he stays home all day by himself while I am working or at school. It all depends on the maturity level of the child. In my city the police recommend 12 but they also say it depends on how your child handles emergency situations. Can they stay calm and call 911, do they answer the door to strangers?

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:39 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• My dd is 8. I'll leave her home if her father is asleep. I trust her to be good. But she gets too scared if she is totally alone.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 12:00 PM on Dec. 22, 2009