What time does your 16 month old (or toddler) take a nap?

My 16 month old now the past 2 days has fallen asleep at 9am and (now is still sleeping) and wakes up sometime after 10, then refuses to nap the rest of the day which is terrible...BUT he goes to sleep at 8pm.. wakes up maybe once and then is up for the day at 6:30-7am. So that part isn't bad.

I try to keep him going in the morning but he fusses so bad, then falls asleep. Any ideas?

Also on weekends he will almost refuse to nap until late afternoon because Daddy is home all day.. it isnt bad those days but I'm a SAHM and when its me during the week I try so hard to keep him entertained and play with him... doesnt seem to work like it does when Daddy does it.

Ideas would be great... Thanks :-)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Dec. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Even though the schedule works for him, I take it you're looking for a later nap time for you? Unless he is a pain all day, I would let him have his schedule. He seems to need that early morning nap and not one in the later afternoon. Is the nap so you can have "you" time?
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:15 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• No the nap time isn't for "me" time, he gets very fussy and whiney in the afternoon and I try to get him to take a short nap but he refuses. I just thought maybe if he had a later nap that he wouldn't be as fussy in the afternoon.

Like I said, I can't complain cause at least he is sleeping through the night and letting me have that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I finally had to keep my 13 month old from taking his morning nap, because then he wouldn't nap the rest of the day and get really tired/fussy way before bedtime (7 PM). I just kept him busy, took him out places, ran errands, etc.
    I started feeding him an earlier lunch, around 11:30 and he goes down for his nap around 12-12:30. He naps for 2-3 hours depending on the day.

Answer by missanc at 11:33 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• My son takes a nap after lunch at about 11:30 or 12 for about 1.5 hours.
    I think I just wouldn't let your son take a nap in the morning and try to keep him playing and active until after lunch.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:46 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• My son wakes up at eight and goes down for a nap at eleven after our snack and then sleeps until one. He gets a little fussy somewhere around sixthirty but that happened no matter when he was napping so that schedule worked for us. You have to be really persistent about keeping him up until his new nap time for a few days no matter how tired he is, you also have to make sure he goes down for a nap at the same time on the weekends no matter how wound up he is by daddy being home he has to lie down at the same time every day. After a couple of days it'll become a habit and he'll go for a nap at whatever time you wanted him to.
    Anonymous

• My son dropped napping twice a day when he was 1. So I started giving him his nap right after lunch which worked well, it was midday, so he got his nap and wasn't fussy during the day. Only thing now is that he's 2, he's trying to not nap at all, and let me tell ya, he is one cranky little man. It can be hard to try to find kind of a middle ground when that happens, but experiment with few different times and see what works best. Good Luck!
    Joelygirl

Answer by Joelygirl at 12:41 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• my son wakes up between 8 and 9am and then takes a nap between 1 and 2pm until about 4, but he doesn't end up going to bed at night until 9 or 10pm because of his late nap... I'd trade nap schedules with you? lol. you could try and stretch it about 10 minutes everyday until maybe 12 or 1pm and see if that is easier.. I wouldn't go any later than that though..trust me! haha. good luck though!
    c_lotte1107

Answer by c_lotte1107 at 12:47 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Maybe instead of trying to get him to nap in the afternoon you could try heading off his fussy time with some calm time. Like shorty before he would start go get fussy try sitting with him and read a book, or color a picture. Any low stimulating activity you can think of. He might be overwhelmed by mid afternoon and unable to wind down. It may even result in a nap!
    Marsella

Answer by Marsella at 1:30 PM on Dec. 22, 2009