bedtime question

My son the past 2 weeks, ever since he got the flu, crys for me about 2 hours after he goes to bed. He turned 2 in Nov. He sleeps in a crib turned into a toddler bed right now.. he goes to bed fine but 2 hours after he has fallen asleep, he has been crying for me. I go in there and he just wants to hold my hand.. I thought maybe he was still sick so I ended up sleeping next to his bed on the floor and he woke up 5-6 times crying for mommy.. I would say " mommy's here honey, now go back to sleep" and he would.. well, here I am 2 weeks later STILL doing the same thing and with my husband working 14 hours a day and working nights, its hard for me to "let him cry" but I have no problem doing it when I can, I just haven't been able to.. I feel like I have an infant again and now both of us aren't getting quality sleep.. how do I stop this? Just NOT go to him while he crys for his mommy?? I used to be stronger, its so hard now...

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 10:13 AM on Dec. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• It is really hard to let your child cry it out. My suggestion is to go in calm him down and then leave. He needs to get back on track with being ok about sleeping in his big boy bed :). Talk to him before he goes to bed the first time remind him that mommy is always here and he needs to sleep all night so that his bones can grow and he can feel strong in the morning when he wakes up. What ever you feel will work for him. Kids go through periods when they don't understand their feelings and so they cry out, act out ect. we have to handle the situation the right way because most of the time it just doesn't go away lol oh how we wish it would though lol.. good luck momma!
    Mommy2seven

Answer by Mommy2seven at 10:26 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Calm him down and then leave. If you can't hear him from the next room he probably isn't fully awake anyway. let him tor to self soothe before jumping in.
    Anonymous