Facebook and your boss?

Yesterday, I had my boss came up to be and asked if I had a facebook account. I was terrified that she would ask for a friend request, because even though I do like my boss, I don't feel it was be a good idea that she be on my friends list. It's not that I have anything to hide. I just think that work should be work and my personal life should be my personal life.
Thankfully, all she wanted to know was that if I played any of the games on facebook and if so, which ones. However, what would you have done if you were in such a situation? Would you have told your boss, no? How would you have handle the situation?

Desirae17

Asked by Desirae17 at 10:19 AM on Dec. 22, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I would have told her the truth and if she asked if she could make a friend request I would then again told her the truth.
    Anywhere you go on the internet, anything you say on the internet, is open to anyone and everyone in the whole world with internet access. If it is private then the internet is no place to share it. Just keep that in mind when posting things on forums that your boss may be sharing.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 11:39 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I am lucky, I am office manager here. My boss is so awesome! He is more like working for a brother than a boss. As long as I keep things the way they are supposed to be, and all the work gets done and done right and on time, then he could care less what I do. I agree with you...there is a line between friends and your boss. I would not want to have my boss on my friends list on the computer if I had the average boss. In my case, I really wouldn't care, he knows me and what goes on...my oldest son works for him too...more like family.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:38 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I am the same way as you. I wouldn't want my boss on my Facebook page either. I just don't feel she should know that much about me, unless we were first friends outside of work. Even then I'd be hesitant.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:49 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I think you need to be careful what you put on Facebook no matter who is your friends, LOL! I am friends with my boss, but we don't really chat back and forth, I have nothing to hide and actually it is kind of refreshing to see his life outside of work, I bet a friend request is coming,,,,so think about how your going to handle that one! Good luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:14 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Work and personal should be separate.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 1:12 PM on Dec. 22, 2009