To those of you who attended La Leche League (sp?)...

What is it?
Does it cost anything?
What do they cover in the sessions?
Is it helpful?

I am a second time mom and I want to check into these classes, or whatever. I did not get the privelege to breast feed my son because he was extremely premature, lack of milk and he also had cleft but I did pump as much as I could and I want to with this baby but I am nervous about it. I am 10 weeks. Thanks Ladies!

nakoal87

Asked by nakoal87 at 10:26 AM on Dec. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• In some states they have LLL meetings that are free of charge that you can learn alot from. Alot of women start when they are pregnant. There are also alot of Doula's that can help and offer resources with breastfeeding as well. Read alot of books on the subject, it is great that you are already thinking of this. Go to the LLL website they have info specifically for each state and you can get numbers for specialists in your area from there too.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 10:45 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Whenever I went to La Leche league's meetings they were always free. The organization's for promoting breast feeding and helping women who want to but have difficulty. I doubt there'd be a cost to sit in meetings. If they give breast pumps there might be a cost for that. Just go to their national website and look for your area's chapters. You're free to go to any of who's near you which might be several - not only a specific location. It could be weird though as some moms in la leche are long term breastfeeding moms into a bit older toddlerhood. You're not locked into meetings.

I found them very very helpful as medical liasons too when I had breast problems way later and was concerned for breast feeding and breast cancer connection or not. There's no connection in it being bad. They were very very compassionate and connected me deeper and deeper into their organizaton for comfort and answers.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 10:52 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• LLL meetings are local BFing support groups. The leaders are trained-certified to lead and support with BFing expertise. :-)
    There is no cost, although some women like to become "official" members and "join" which is about $35./year (I think) and gets a subscription to their awesome magazine.
    I think they usually plan ahead with topics they want to discuss on certain days, but there is an open time to bring up questions and share, if moms want to.
    There will be moms who also have big kids and so your son will have children to run around with, too.
    And usually the leads(s) will offer a Lending Library with books to loan. I have loved that!

When I went years ago, I got IMMENSE help, info, and support. (I was tandem nursing.) It was SO awesome!!!!!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:45 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• **I meant "leader(s)" not "leads"
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:46 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I am a member. It is free to attend meetings, and membership is not required. However membership does have a fee. I went for a LONG time before I had the money to become a member. It's great to learn and get support. I love going every month.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:50 PM on Dec. 22, 2009