How can I get my 11month old to eat?

My son is 11months and he still will not eat more than a few spoonfuls of baby food. He will not try anything new and when we try to give him table food, he won't open his mouth and when he does he does the gagging face, he really isn't choking or anything. He would rather have a bottle than food. Please also note, my son doesn't put anything in his mouth like other children of his age. What can I do?

usmc0351wife

Asked by usmc0351wife at 10:33 AM on Dec. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• have you talked to your ped about this?! i would mention it at your next check up.
    smb87

Answer by smb87 at 10:53 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Do you always try to give it to him or do you let him explore it on his own? Mine has been after my food for a LONG time and eats great. At this age (also 11 months) I set him in his high chair and give him some snacks on the tray and let him eat on his own. If you haven't tried them already, those gerber puffs are great starters because they dissolve. As long as he is growing good and not losing weight then it's probably not that big of a deal but I'd mention it to the doc just in case. (=
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 11:02 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Some babies are not really into solids until after they are a year old. Just keep offering. Put bite sized pieces of food on his tray and let him explore.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:51 PM on Dec. 22, 2009