What usually happens at the 37 week check?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Dec. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Some doctors dont do vaginal checks but here most do so assuming you have one that does...

The normal stuff is done (weight check, BP, belly measuring & heartbeat) plus a vaginal check to see how dilated and effaced you are & what station the baby is at. Some doctors strip the membranes, some dont. Mine did starting at 37 weeks if you wer at least 2cm dilated and at 38 weeks if you are not. Stripping of the membranes can be very uncomfortable but the more rough the doc is, the more effective it is IMO
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 11:41 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• OP Here....

and 38 week...and so on
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• In general, with aregular OB, you will doall the normal stuff, weight blood pressure and so on, measure your belly, and most start doing internal exams at this time to see if you are dilating or not, and talk about what to do when you go into labor and so on. Sometimes aculture for GBS and apap at the first internal check.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 10:40 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Pretty much what AK said, well except for the GBS & the pap part. I was always tested for GBS earlier than that and haven't ever had a pap that late in pregnancy. The OB I used for my first, did internal checks each week at that point. The doc I used with my second, only did an internal check before 40 weeks if I requested it. Ask your doc what to expect.
    K.D.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Dec. 22, 2009