How do I use an inhaler on a toddler? He gets agitated and worse whenever I try to use it.

I hate to go to the ER every time he needs a breathing treatment. I don't have a regular doctor because I just moved. The ER gave me a prescription for an inhaler and an infant mask but it's impossible to use. Any tips?

benjamink

Asked by benjamink at 10:49 AM on Dec. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We used a nebulizer at that age. We got a mask that looked like a dinosaur, and told him he got to be a fire breathing dragon, and we got a big mask for Daddy to wear at the same time to make it fun. It still wasnt pleasent, but it helped.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 10:54 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• You can buy that thing that attaches to the inhaler so you don't have to jam it in his mouth. It's called an AeroChamber. They aren't cheap but you'll get use out of it and they really do help get the mist INTO him.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 10:59 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Oh, he's 17 months old...I have the Aero Chamber and he is not having it....
    benjamink

Answer by benjamink at 11:01 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• My daughter went on a nebulizer for the R S Virus when she was an infant and subsequently was diagnosed with asthma. She used the aero chamber in ele. school. When she was a baby when she couldn't keep the mask on when she was in the hospital our resp. therapist said to just hold the tube near her and follow it under her nose as she moved about. Even when she was older and agitated that worked sometimes cause it wasn't so confining. You can also get extra masks and have some stuffed animals or toys even action figures wear them. but of course with the action figures or dollars you'd have to wrap the elastic around a bunch of times.

Hope baby feels better!!!
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 11:08 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Here's what my pediatrician told me to do. (We have the aerochamber too) Lay the child down on the floor with his head between your legs. Pin his arms under your legs (he'll be laying parallel with your legs with his arms sticking out to the sides). That will allow you to hold his head and mask. It limits his movements enough to be able to keep the mask on his face. Yes, there will be protesting but since he'll be taking deep breathes, it actually helps get the medicine into his lungs. As our son got use to it, the protesting stopped. We can now just hold him in our laps to do it. It sounds mean but it works. My son is a big kid and it was the only way I could get him to use the inhaler when he needed it. Now if the protest is minor, we let him put the mask onto a stuffed animal or let him help hold the mask to his face.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 1:10 PM on Dec. 22, 2009