How do I get my 4 year old daughter and 3 year old son to listen to me and my husband.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Dec. 22, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Are you serious? You 've been a parent for 4 years & haven't got that yet?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Watch Supernanny for ideas.

Be consistent and follow through with discipline, have some rules and enforce them.
    lil_angel00

Answer by lil_angel00 at 11:11 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• wow anon 59 im glad to know you sooo hve this parenting thing down, but let me guess your kids are still pre-walking right...... to the op i have an almost 6 year that is so totally out of control i dont know what to do! i have an older daughter that is very well behaved, and i have also raised my two nephews and my niece who are all very well behaved if you get any good answers let me know!!!
    mommie2twogirls

Answer by mommie2twogirls at 4:11 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Tough love.
    Consistency in consequences.

My son started acting out and not listening. I thought I was going to lose all control of the situation. He also tries to play DH and I off on each other. Like if DH is telling him he needs to stay in bed he'll start yelling "No, just mommy!" and vice versa.
    We talked about what our rules and consequences would be and then have stuck together to follow through and have each other's backs.

He now knows we mean what we say and that unless he wants toys taken away then he'd better do as he's told and not be a jerk.

It's hard for the first little while but stay strong and keep at it. It does get easier.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 8:08 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• When your kids hit 35 - you will finally have it down (well depends on the kids too) LOL

My boys are 8 and 5 and my daughter is 3.. my oldest is extremely well behaved and my 5 and 3 year old are terrors.. ive done nothing differant in their raisings.. they just are 3 differant kids..

now I will say this.. when we go to public.. all 3 know better than show their butts.. ive drilled it in them that they best have respect for others..
    luckycharms0406

Answer by luckycharms0406 at 8:08 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Consistency is key. Save time out for the big things because using it too much takes away its effectiveness.

Catch them doing good. Specific, positive praise when they are behaving/listening can go a long way to help minimize the amount of time you spend disciplining them.

Check with your pediatricians office. They often times will have information on parenting seminars that will be offered in your area. Your local school department or public library may also have information on these types of courses as well.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 9:18 PM on Dec. 22, 2009