Why do you have a live or artificial tree?

I have an artificial tree because I don't like the smell of live ones, nor do I want to be bothered with the mess.

What's your reason?

LadyEb

Asked by LadyEb at 10:54 AM on Dec. 22, 2009 in Holidays

• bc mine is pre-lit...so quick and easy.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 11:01 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• We have a live tree...well, because we don't own a fake one. I personally LOVE the smell & i also think real tree's just look so much better. I can tell a fake tree from a mile away, they just look so plastic to me (i guess because they are).

A real Christmas tree also has a better feeling to it. I can't really explain it, but they just do.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:01 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• ha ha this is funny cause i'm the complete opposite of you. I want a live tree. My kids do too even though they're older. My husband would rather have a fake one.

We did one time on travel put up in our hotel room on Christmas Day a fake tree and it really meant alot. Fake trees are only fake in that they don't grow from the ground. Their meaning is just as real and important as real trees.

I do though take down our tree entirely if we go away after Christmas Day that week - I never leave a live tree overnight or days in my house. I would never refuse to go to my kids homes when that times comes that they're grown up with their own celebrations cause I have to have a live tree for my Christmas.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 11:02 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• We have a live one, it's the fun of going to pick it out, bring it home, and put it up. Last yr we got a small fat one, this year we picked out a tall fat one,lol. It's nice to be able to choose what you want. There's just something about a real tree... Oh and then when xmas is over we chop it up and have a bonfire in our back yard with roasted marshmallows and hot cocoa. Our kids love it!
    And I don't have to find a place to store it, just the decorations.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:08 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I love the smell of live one's but I don't buy them. I just go out where they do sell them and  sniff, sniff.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• fake. you can leave them up longer, pre-lit, you don't have to water it or pick up needles-and my daughter had a friend who's had a fire and a real tree- and she is freaked out by the thought of having a real one. I do like the smell of them though
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:11 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I am extremely allergic to live trees. I would rather have a live one, but I can't, I swell up and end up in the hospital with in an hour. So until they can fix my allergies (not likely) we have to suck it up and use a fake one, but on the up side. No mess, no watering, no having to put lights on it.

clovismommy25

Answer by clovismommy25 at 11:23 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• My husband loves live trees, I prefer fake.

So for now, we have a fake one. I compromised with him because our boys are still small(oldest is 5, youngest is nearly 2)and they would go after the needles that fell and the youngest would try and eat them,etc.

Once they are older and I know the youngest wont eat the needles LOL we will start having a live one.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:32 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• One of my cats started pissing on the live one.. I love the smell and we had to get rid of it early. Next year was artificial. With a live tree you never know what kind of scent is on the tree.
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 11:36 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• btw, my artificial tree drops needles too-annoying!! lol It is pre-lit white lights and I add color lights to it.
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 11:37 AM on Dec. 22, 2009