Do you let your kids believe in Santa?

My girls are 1 and 2 and i dont want them to think santa is real. my husband disagrees. i will still do gifts but say they are from Jesus cause its not really a lie cause by his faith i could afford it. I dont think i should crush my kids hope at such a young age. but mu hubby thinks when they are in school they will say hes not real and be picked on.

mommadent

Asked by mommadent at 11:21 AM on Dec. 22, 2009 in Holidays

• It's noone else's business whether or not you let your kids believe in Santa. We did the Santa thing up until 2 years ago then my oldest son was asking questions. So, we sat them down and told them about Saint Nicholas who was the real Santa, but he died a long time ago. They weren't traumatized and it has actually been alot easier. They know Santa is a make believe character, and they have tons of imagination and creativity and are looking forward to Christmas morning. Do what you want to do and don't worry about what everyone else thinks. You are not a bad parent if you don't tell your kids about Santa, and you're not a bad parent if you do. Just do what you want and don't worry about it. I know I personally am not going to be knocking on anyone's door on Christmas morning and asking them how they're celebrating. I'm a Christian but it doesn't matter to me how anyone else chooses to celebrate or not celebrate Christmas.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 2:40 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• What is the harm in letting young children believe in Santa? Santa is something that children are capable of grasping and understanding. When they are old enough to understand then you can explain Jesus to them.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 11:22 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• crap. this AGAIN?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• My children already understand how jesus is. i can hold a conversation about him with my 2 year old
    mommadent

Answer by mommadent at 11:25 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• An atheist could ask you why are you going to let your kids believe in jesus? if you told your kids jesus gave them those gifts but failed to mention that YOU actually physically purchases them then you got them believeing that jesus went to the store & brought the gifts by your house himself..oh just like SANTA!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I let my girls ages 4.5 and nearly 2 believe in him and I will continue to let them believe until they come up and ask me if he is real then I will tell them the truth.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 11:26 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I agree what TheDiva320. Whats the harm in it? By the time they figure out santa isnt real they will be old enough to understand. And just because they believe in santa doesnt mean you cant still tell them christmas is all about jesus. I think if you tell them the gifts are from jesus they will ask jesus for gifts instead of praising him.
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 11:28 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I think asking for gifts and not praising is a good point i never thought of that! I dont think there is actully harm in letting them believe i just dont want to ever lie to my girls. and yeah i know its something small but to me is matters
    mommadent

Answer by mommadent at 11:32 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Yes, my kids believe in Santa aka Father Winter.

We see no harm in allowing them to believe in a world where some magic still exists and that is what Santa brings with him.

I think people who dont want their little ones to believe in that magic have sticks up their bums...I really do. They are the ones who take the fun and life out of EVERYTHING that used to be enjoyable.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:34 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• my kids dont but because of the way i was raised which i think thats how it is alot of times. My parents didnt do it because of the amount of siblings and lack of cash. they could only afford to give from them. we all understood it.

I dont think its a bad idea. your husband wants them to know santa because he did.
    do it how you 2 agree, i dont think it will hurt them in not knowing
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Dec. 22, 2009