CIO?

ok im kind of new to this site and i was wondering what CIO is, i mean i know it stands for cry it out...but what does that mean? what do you do?

thanks.....

MamaSusieQ045

Asked by MamaSusieQ045 at 11:54 AM on Dec. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• It means there are cruel and horrid parents out there who cheat their babies out of the feeling of security they need. They allow the child to cry and ignore it. I think that is barbaric. It makes for an anxious child as it grows and they distrust parents for abandoning them when they feel vulnerable.
    Anonymous

• When you lay your baby down, just letting them cry and not trying to comfort them. I usually lay my son down, if he starts crying I will pick him up and sway him for a few minutes then lay him back down. Sometimes it takes a few tries but it usually works.
    Anonymous

• When you have tried everything to make your baby happy, Bathed,changed diaper, feed, burped. Checked temperature. and the baby is still crying.  then you just put the baby in it's crib, with some soothing music on and let them cry. For a while.

Answer by louise2 at 12:04 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• And rocking and holding does not work.

Answer by louise2 at 12:06 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Wow. Some moms are uneducated about this. CIO is when you know the baby doesn't need to be fed, changed, bathed, etc. and you set them down in their bed and tell them good night. You let them fuss, whine and cry if they start to for a few minutes. Then you go in and comfort them and reassure them that everything is ok without picking them up. Then you leave again. You just keep it up until they fall asleep. It is a way to teach them to self soothe themselves to sleep instead of relying on mommy and daddy.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 12:16 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• geeze, some moms on here are so harsh! she was just asking what it meant ANON 12:02... and of course you mark your answer anon... People have different ways of parenting lady... ANYWAY, CIO is another way to get your child to learn to self-soothe and to fall asleep on their own. It depends on how your child is, personality wise. When my son was a baby, he loved being around people so CIO didn't work for him because he just would get uncontrollably upset. Its more for a child who can't get to sleep on their own, but after a few minutes of crying, he/she manages to figure it out and fall asleep. Dr said if he cried hard for more than ten minutes, than it wasn't safe for him to be left alone all distraught. I tried CIO, swaddling, singing and other methods... swaddling and singing worked best for my son.
    c_lotte1107

Answer by c_lotte1107 at 12:30 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• CIO=abuse, plain and simple. being too lazy to care for your child who needs you! Sorry, don't care if I get bashed, but that's how I feel
    Anonymous

• Oh come on! There not talking about lil bitty infants,its when they are nearing a year or older! its at the age when they should be learning to soothe themselves to sleep instead of you coddling them and walking the floor trying to get them to sleep.Sometimes this behavior is for attention,not that something is wrong.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 3:50 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• CIO is where you put your child in bed to cry themself to sleep in an effort to teach "self soothing". It's different from the ferber method where you check back in at certain time frames to comfort and reassure them. They are not the same thing although many people think they are.

I personally believe CIO is cruel and abusive. Babies are supposed to rely on their parents and will sooth themselves when they are ready. There are MANY studies that show CIO to be damaging later in life
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 3:52 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Hold the phone TMJ, just because you choose NOT to make your child cry does not mean you are coddling them. Thats like saying just because you dont spank your children are undisciplined.

There are many many other way to teach so called "self soothing" that do not involve letting your child cry themselves to sleep.
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 3:55 PM on Dec. 22, 2009