any suggestions on how to avoid poop stained clothes...

my daughter is 2 months old and it seems like almost every time she poops it leaks out the sides of her diaper and make a huge mess all over her and her clothes. i make sure i put her diapers on carefully so that everything is even but it desn't seem to help. i dont know if this helps but i use huggies size 1. thank you.

samantha21385

Asked by samantha21385 at 11:55 AM on Dec. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Go up a size and try Pampers. Huggies always leaked for me. You always know it's time to go up a size when the diapers leak. The weight on the box is never right.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:57 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Try different brands. Huggies always exploded on us. We had luck with pampers and target brand diapers. But I would just keep trying different one until you find one that does good for you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Switch to cloth! We never get blow-outs! :)

Other than that... go up a size. Blow-outs are usually the first indication that you need to. And sunning the stains will get out EBF poop.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:11 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Different diapers work differently based on your baby's individual body shape. Pampers worked best for my son & Huggies worked better for my daughter. I also like the Target brand diapers if you're looking to save some money. I agree that you can try going up a size too. You know there's the elastic & then the fringe by the legs. Make sure the elastic is as straight as possible and that the fringe is always out (not tucked in) if that makes sense. Also, I noticed with my DD that the poop was more likely to go up the front if she was laying in her swing or bouncer cuz she was laying on her butt/back. So if you know she's trying to go (which I realize is not always predictable) try putting her in a different position that is less likely to cause leaks/explosions. Like hold her upright or put her on her tummy, something like that.
    Mary229

Answer by Mary229 at 12:14 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I'm with LeanneC, switch to cloth!
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 12:50 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Soak the clothes in a combination of water and white vinegar!
    Anonymous

• My daughter had a one to two month phase around this age where she had diaper blow-outs nearly every time she pooped- sometimes a few times a day! So frustrating. The other Mom's gave you good things to try- you will learn the weight recommendation on diapers really mean nothing, it just depends on fit. But I never found a solution, the problem just eventually went away when she got a bit older. In the meantime, it helps to immediately rinse her clothes and then spray with Spray 'N Wash or something of that sort as soon as you can. I always kept her in a plain onesie under he clothes so that would usually bear the brunt of the staining. And keep your diaper bag stocked with at least two outfits and plenty of plastic bags in case you have the blow outs when you are out of the house. Good luck- this is no fun but it won't last forever. :)
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:24 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Try a diffrent diaper I had this problem with huggies but was mostly when my son would pee. I now use pampers. I loved the swaddlers and he was in them until about a month ago when he grew out of them. Now I use pampers baby dry. I also know that might be a sign to go up a size in them but if they fit fine then it might just be the brand or type you buy.
    Newmommys101

Answer by Newmommys101 at 1:23 AM on Dec. 23, 2009