Do You Think Employers Have the Right.....

...to demand info that leads to your social network sites? Do they have the right to view your MySpace, Facebook, Cafemom, etc? Some can argue that the employer should have the right to know what you are like outside of work, but then what a person is like outside of work could be totally different than their work persona. What you do outside of work has no bearing on your ability to do the job, KWIM?

I've been asked and I usually tell them that it's either none of their business or that I just plain don't have a profile anywhere. They would have to know my user name and since most of my sites are unsearchable or private, there is nothing to find or see. My life on the outside has no bearing on my job or what I am like at work.

What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:07 PM on Dec. 22, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I think that people should be careful of what they put on the internet. If you have something on the internet that can get you fired at work, well come on really? Are we not adults?? Especially since all these site have a way to make your profile private. I would keep mine private and then there is no real worry.
    PsychMommie

Answer by PsychMommie at 12:11 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I don't think they have a right to see anything like that. Especially if you are doing it outside of work (not using their computers to access it). I'm definately with you on that one, I'd tell them I don't have one. lol
    c_lotte1107

Answer by c_lotte1107 at 12:12 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I don't necessarily think they have a right to demand that you allow them access to it, but if you've put it out there in the public domain then don't be surprised if they are viewing it.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:19 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I don't care if they see mine or not. But I try not to put anything incriminating on my profile pages either if you know what I mean. lol It's just a rule of thumb that I go by, whether my profile is set to private or not, anything that I post online is like broadcasting it in the daily news. I try to make sure it's nothing I would be ashamed of, no matter who saw it!
    Mary229

Answer by Mary229 at 12:21 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• The way I see it, so long as you're not coming into work Monday all hung over and crap from partying and still do you job and do it well, it shouldn't matter if you drank like a fish, dirty danced with the strange dude, and forgot who you slept with over the weekend and posted pictures of your weekend on your site. Since when did it become the employer's right to know your every move when not at work? Since when did it become their right to say you're a bad employee because you wanted to let loose during your days off? If you can do the job, have the experience and can do it well, what you do on your own time is your business.
    randi1978

Answer by randi1978 at 12:21 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• If they stumble upon your social network profiles on their own, that's fine. But there is no law that says you need to provide them with any information regarding such. Also be careful of what you post on these sites in case they do track you down. You don't want to lose your job over something you posted.
    Anonymous

• Anon :30, if an employer fired me over some pictures taken during a crazy weekend with friends and I was a good employee and did my job, I would probably file a wrongful termination lawsuit. No employer carries the right to fire you over stuff you do outside of work, so long as it isn't criminal activity. If they find pics of your doing drugs, then I can understand.....but going out with friends and partying at a bar....absolutely not.
    randi1978

Answer by randi1978 at 12:34 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I don't think they have a right to ask or demand, but if they find it themselves because you were careless enough to use your name and they see something they consider detrimental to the company then that is your problem. The internet is the same as public. Don't do anything on the net that you wouldn't do in front of your Grandmother.

Anonymous

• I don't think they have a right to demand that you give them the information, but if they come upon it, and if the behavior would influence the business, then I am thinking this would be their right.

Answer by Bmat at 1:10 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I recently had a training on this, and there have been lawsuits becuase of facebook type postings. You are a representation of your employer 24/7, 365 as long as you are employed there. How you act impacts how the company looks. Let's say Sunday night a friend of yours posts a picture of you drunk at her house. This picture is fairly public because the privacy settings on her page are not as strong as they could be. Monday, while at work you make a mistake that as a fairly big financial impact on a customer/client. This person sues the company. The company argues that it was an honest mistake. The person who is a friend of this other friend that posted the pictures brings this picture to the attorney. Their argument is that your "honest mistake" was actually a direct result of your hangover. Company loses the suit. They fire you. All becuase of a picture on facebook. This stuff really does happen.
    Anonymous