Why Can't We Have Leaders Like This?

Prince William spends night on London streets

LONDON – A cold alley in central London is a far cry from a palace — but it was the spot Prince William chose to sleep to highlight the plight of homeless British teenagers.

He spent a chilly night near Blackfriars Bridge last week with Seyi Obakin, the chief executive of British homeless charity Centrepoint. William has been the charity's patron since 2005.

"I cannot, after one night, even begin to imagine what it must be like to sleep rough on London's streets night after night," William said Tuesday. "Poverty, mental illness, drug and alcohol dependancy and family breakdown cause people to become and then stay homeless.

"I hope that by deepening my understanding of the issue, I can help do my bit to help the most vulnerable on our streets."

LINK IN REPLY BELOW.

NightPhoenix

Asked by NightPhoenix at 12:48 PM on Dec. 22, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think the leaders of the U.S.A. would take on a whole new outlook on "taking care of" our country if they would walk in someone else's shoes for a while.

NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 12:50 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Holy cow! Sorry for the huge font.

embarrassed

NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 12:54 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Prince William is not a leader. He is a very privileged young man with very few responsibilies. It's lovely that he spends time and energy on causes close to his heart, but really it's not like he has much else to do. The taxpayers support him and his family, and all he has to do is shake some hands once in a while. He has no responsible leadership role at all.
    Anonymous

• Agree with the anon!

Answer by older at 1:22 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• The prince will one day be a leader, so that point is moot. Yes, he is privileged, but instead of wasting his time, he does quality things with it. So again, why can't we have U.S. leaders like this?
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 1:31 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I'm with Anon. While it's fantastic that he does that, it's the British PM who's the real leader, not the royal family.
    mommy_lisa25

Answer by mommy_lisa25 at 1:33 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• While it's nice he's drawing attention to the problem, I really don't think that's the sign of a great leader, or him doing "quality things". The British Royal family is LOADED, I'd be more impressed if he donated a portion of his allowance to the cause, instead.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 1:34 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• He may one day be King. But that's a may and doesn't mean he'll be a leader. Grandma is still pretty healthy, his dad's doing fine, and more importantly the monarchy isn't as loved as it once was. They are not considered real leaders, even if they do have some veto rights. They know very well that if they tried to use them, the people would toss the monarchy and there would go all their free treats. They are just a tourist attraction when you get down to basics.
    Anonymous

• Being the possible future King of England doesn't mean he will lead England. The Prime Minister is the real leader of the English people. People like Churchill and Thatcher, not the Queen or King, influence the world.

Nice sentiment, though.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 1:55 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Regardless of whether or not he will be a real leader some day, he is showing much more leadership ability than ANY of OUR so-called leaders. Yes, I would much rather have a person with his conviction and compassion leading my country. I think it is wonderful that he put himself in someone else's shoes, even if just for one night. That is something that few people even think to do these days. His mama would be proud of him, and approve of this!
    29again

Answer by 29again at 2:17 PM on Dec. 22, 2009