Is it safe for my 1 year old to take, CHLORPHENIRAMINE-PE-DM SYRUP, for a cold?

well my doctor prescribed it but i dont really trust him. and my mom has been tellin me that he shouldnt be takin it. n the medicine says its for kids 6 n over, n a whole bunch of warnings. he has to take 1/2 a tablespoon every six hours. What shoul I do??

Asked by Cristy-1208 at 12:53 PM on Dec. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• "Over-the-counter cold and cough medicines don't work for children under age 6, and giving the common medicine to young children cannot be recommended, a Food and Drug Administration advisory committee said"
    The American Academy of Pediatrics says, "These medicines are ineffective and can have serious side effects. There are other ways to treat cold symptoms."
    The AAP suggests:

# Moisturizing the air with a vaporizer or hydrator

# Using saltwater nose drops to dry up a runny nose

# Using a rubber nose bulb to clear up congestion

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:00 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• You can always tell the doctor you want a second opinion. If you don't trust it, don't use it, or use even less than prescribed.
    What Maggie posted above is a great idea. Vaporizer, saline drops work great. Sit in a steam filled room and let the kid
    breath it in.

Answer by NightPhoenix at 1:03 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Good lord, woman, you don't have to post the question in every category.

• yup to pp's don't give cough syrup.

Answer by Nyx7 at 1:18 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• As Maggiesmom stated they are ineffective at best. I live in NY and it is against the law to market/suggest cold medications to children under six. Either your doc is ill informed or he's just trying to make it seem like he earned his fee.

Answer by Farrahann at 2:04 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Do NOT give it. And change docs.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:01 PM on Dec. 22, 2009