Is it safe for my 1 year old to take, CHLORPHENIRAMINE-PE-DM SYRUP, for a cold?

well my doctor prescribed it but i dont really trust him. and my mom has been tellin me that he shouldnt be takin it. n the medicine says its for kids 6 n over, n a whole bunch of warnings. he has to take 1/2 a tablespoon every six hours. What shoul I do??

Cristy-1208

Asked by Cristy-1208 at 12:53 PM on Dec. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• I've been told no cough syrup for any toddler or infant... I would get a second opinion... You said you don't trust him, so that should be your tip off right there! They call you a mom for a reason :)
    c_lotte1107

Answer by c_lotte1107 at 12:56 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I would not give that to him! I give my kids Umcka, it's a homeopath remedy and it is all natural and safe for children. You can get this pretty much anywhere.
    Anonymous

• No offense, but you should be calling your child's pediatrician about that sort of thing. Why ask random strangers?
    Anonymous

• I wouldnt especially if I didnt trust the doctor!
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 3:45 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• If you do not trust the doctor, then I would call another pediatrician and get a 2nd opinion.
    Anonymous

• Maybe you can call the pharmacy or even call YOUR doctor for their opinion. If you do not trust your child's doctor, you need to find someone else to overlook your child's health.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 9:06 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• My husband is a pharmacist. He says no. There is debate about it for ages 2 and up, but for age 1, it's a no. Currently the recommendation for those is ages 6 and up only.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 3:55 PM on Dec. 23, 2009